System phobia vs music enjoyment

Thanks for the pointer. I missed that one. Another 10 albums more now with booklet :sunglasses:

1 Like

I read you regularly. Best regards. Good to see you on this site.

1 Like

What you’ve done with the iTunes Grouping tag is, I believe, is a feature that Roon takes care of automatically. I searched Roon for “Brandenburg Concerto,” and selected Number 5. Roon identifies that opus as BWV 1050, and shows that I have one performance of it in my library, and that there are 601 performances available on Tidal. Those 601 performances can be organized by conductor, ensemble, and location, among other things.

Well, you’re narrowing down even further the % of classical listeners. If we are to go by sales and streams it’s not really very high.

However, as per my original comments going by active current Roon forum users, it is popular. That though is a small number of subscribers and a mere microcosm of the wider community of music lovers.

As for me, I like classical music speaking broadly. Obviously, like any other genre somethings within a broad genre, I like more than others. However, I don’t listen to classical based on the perceived quality of the stream. Suffice to say all of my digital files are flac or higher & have been for many years.

Cheers.

1 Like

Yes, I could be classified as being one of the microcosm set is that bad!

I started this topic and have been sitting back smiling to myself as it seems I’ve rattled so many cages judging by the various comments made. We all have our own reasons and methods for doing things and should respect other views. My music library is not so large and can always find what I am looking for. Long live the LP cabinet.

1 Like

I’d say this is a fairly short, non-controversial thread, as threads go around here. If you want to see more controversy click on a few MQA or “does my router affect sound quality” threads. :wink:

2 Likes

This is actually a pretty tame thread.

…for which we should all be grateful!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this. I was not aware of all those booklets being available. Such a wealth of great information in them!

Wow that’s 50 grands worth at UK prices.

I have to say that I find it quite entertaining to see a few cages rattled
In these forums during my retirement. On occasion I have been known to make an unqualified statement and just can’t wait to see the response. Always room for introducing a little humour on relatively dry subject matter.

1 Like

I started YOUNG now i am OLD :sunglasses:

I’ve been collecting for 50 years, lots of them are from big album sets where cost per disc is quite low , maybe $2-3

I’m not looking to be controversial. I’m just surprised how many users are so self opinionated. Being humble enough to advocate the other persons view going forward is a great attribute.

1 Like

Haven’t spent much time on Internet forums I’d guess. :rofl:

4 Likes

There is on funny thread at the moment and it speaks for itself: missing basic features, most of people have a definitive opinion about what is basic and how it should be implement and bla bla…and how roon dare not to get it for me

One of the few friendly thread is the « showing off the roon set up » there you can discuss

1 Like

If I were to subscribe to Roon I would like to have a handle on the likely cost going forward. I am attracted towards the Auralic Altair G, circa £2,200 with SSD internal drive. I like the idea that this a self contained device with a DAC and has physical controllability without having to use an iPad, it also has a headphone socket. I could also trade in my Rega Dac R. towards the cost. So how does Roon sit with this, As a newcomer, it looks like I would have to purchase a Roon (or generic) make server. My Ripped CD’s are presently on NAS. Where best should they reside, on NAS or Auralic? How does my Sonos fit in, which already has access to most streaming services? Open to suggestions. However enjoyment of my music without complication prevails.

I could not answer for everything and to me the best set up will be the one that suits you the best regarding your environment.
But for Sonos they will fit in Roon environment as long as you do not require High Res, means more than CD definition.
Then the most basic set up with the Auralic is:
Core on a Nuc or laptop or Mac or anything powerful enough to make roon works flawlessly. (Go to roon menu and look for requirements)
Auralic: streamer and Dac
An amp
Your collection on your Nas or Auralic: I would go for the Auralic and the back up on your nas.
And everything wired in Ethernet.
But of course, you will have many advices…

To me the only important thing is to get Roon Core on a device you do not need to switch on and off all the time. That is why I switch from a Mac to a Nuc.
I spend bit more money but I enjoy roon anytime

Hope it helps and feel free to ask for advices

For a complete solution and CD ripping/storage check out the Roon Ready Innous line.

If you don’t have many endpoints and won’t be doing any heavy DSP, you can run Core on an Innuos device.

The lowest tier device has a built-in DAC.

I would never suggest using the internal storage of the Auralic with Roon. The way Roon works is that al music is streamed first to the Core for processing and then out to the endpoint. If the music is on the Auralic and that is the endpoint then you are doing a lot of unnecessary network traffic. The best is to have the music local to the Core (aka server); I am partial to an external HD. Keep the NAS as a backup of the music.