System phobia vs music enjoyment

Hi Rugby and thank you and all other responders for your views.

The overall feedback suggests the Roon core (the brain) be installed on a separate device for optimum fidelity to read my music library (which is all I require).

The Roon route cost consideration therefore is for buying an Auralic Aries G1 Streamer (without ssd) if I require + Roon core device + Roon subscription.
I could also use my Sonos Connect as a separate digital input into the Auralic if I wish.

Alternatively, I could add an internal ssd to the Auralic and use their lightning app to control my music library which would save the cost of a Roon core device and Roon subscription costs.
I would add that I need to be convinced of an audible difference between these options.

I need to be further convinced that Roon is an option.

Have never understood the term ‘self-opinionated’. It sounds like an insult useds against those who opinion differs from one’s own.

Is it only polite to hold the same opinion as others? I grew up taught that there was only one way to think. It came as huge shock to me that not only were there other viewpoints but that it wasn’t evil to explore them or even hold them.

This one thing saved my life once I got over the terror of expressing my own thoughts.

Anyhoo, s some say, back to ‘self-opinionated’ is far healthier than ‘other-opinionated’.

I have a feeling ‘self-opinionated’ means arrogant, means those people whose opinion is the only right one, like the four letter words who brought me up.

Otherwise ‘self-opinionated’ is the only way to be.

1 Like

At one point someone knows what is talking about (a very rare thing these days though). If your opinion states the fact/truth, then anyone with a different opinion is probably going to call you arrogant for that. Try for example to argue with someone that’s absolutely sure the earth is flat (and believe me there is only one truth about this no matter how many opinions, and yet…)

I grew up with that sort of thinking. It is very very hard to get through to a person stuck in that mind set. Fear is an extremely strong motive to stay in that mind set and not to fall for the ‘lie that there is another way to think’. To discover there are many ways to think and that no one has absolute truth is both exhilarating and and terrifying. The fear is indescribable and feels like imminent death. If one is very fortunate, as I was, one gets guided through the process to eventual freedom one wasn’t truly aware existed until the day dawned on the realization one was free at last and was still alive and had become sane.

There are many ways of thinking, no doubt about.
Most of the time there is an absolute truth no matter how many ways of thinking around that truth are. If it happens to thinking the truth, what that says about you in the eyes of those who think otherwise?

Fear of change is the demon that rides on the back and gnaws at the neck of all conservative people.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what it means.

And history has plenty of examples when being self-opinionated is the right thig to do and also proves to be the absolute truth (“eppur si muove” to mention just one of them).

Yes, I see that the Innous line has been well reviewed. One thing I don’t get with Innous is the heavy premium for an ssd drive, these are quite cheap to buy nowadays.

Yeah, it seems everyone overcharges to include an SSD in their device.

Totally agree.

Like BT TV for HD

As opposed the heavy premium on the motherboard?
Last innuius I saw had a super micro mobo.:wink:

Wow whats that!!

SuperMicro is just a brand name of motherboards used a lot in server farms.

@rugby is saying they overcharge for their motherboard as well.

Kind of like uber streamers that just use a basic SBC board.

Thank you, Dave. I read the full meaning and didn’t know it meant exactly what I abhor in people. The way I interpreted was that it was considered boorish to have opinions.

Unless it is a scientific fact, I always try to make sure that I make it clear that what I am expressing is my own thoughts on whatever the matter is. No matter how strongly I may feel about it.

We all have opinions. You just need to understand the difference between opinions and fact and not mis-represent opinions as fact, even if you think they are one and the same. You might be wrong.

3 Likes

Yes, a lesson my upbringing taught me very well. I tend to avoid people who think their opinions are THE TRUTH. If one is fortunate to escape being brought up by people who knew the only truth, it’s a lesson never forgotten.

Sadly there are billions who reject scientific fact in favour of opinion and fairy tales.

4 Likes

…indeed, as we are witnessing daily during these times.

As the late, great Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said, “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.”

7 Likes

So true. One only has to look at the world we are in to see how much evil comes from insisting opinion is what matters and nothing else.

Look at what is happening in a once democratic country because the denial of science and a nutter are holding sway.

5 Likes