Tailscale implementation with ARC to circumnavigate ISP CGNAT

My connection to Roon through ARC has taken a vacation as well. I had fiber installed the same morning the Roon team logged everyone out of their Core, so I’m not sure where to point the finger. I’ve been getting the same errors as most everyone else pertaining to IPv6, and since I’ve never had a connection issue through ARC before, I imagine my IP address is now IPv6 and is broadcasting a virtual IPv4 IP.

I tried for many hours now to figure out why I keep getting an error everytime I try to create the subnet. The program keeps telling me to use the --reset flag instead? I’m pretty much done with it at this point. My core will go back to be remaining off unless I’m actually sitting in front of it unless someone knows why I cant generate a simple subnet.

1 Like

Since my ISP somehow managed to activate cgnat, whithout my consent, I tried the Tailscale workaround on my Asustor NAS. It works great so far. Hopefully my ISP will fix my public IP soon, but until then this is a good solution. Ultimately Roon would do great in implementing some login solution that does not require a public ip.

1 Like

+1. I’ve been using Tailscale for ARC for quite a while, which avoids having to deal with ISP and router peculiarities. Roon considered using QUIC instead of port forwarding (Tailscale is based on QUIC) but they were not able to find a suitable cross-platform QUIC implementation at the time.

1 Like

Roon Server Machine

iMac, M1 chip, 8Gb Ram, Sonoma 14.3.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

2xNokia Beacon 1

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    Norlys

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

Connected Audio Devices

50,000 Flac files stored on SSDs attached (USBC) to iMac with Roon running on it

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

Not a problem/issue, just maybe some help.
I was getting the Double NAT issue trying to set ARC up. Spent ages and ages rooting round trying to find a solution, and hours on here reading various threads. Then stumbled on one where some kind person mentioned using Tailscale.
So, I installed it on my iPhone, iMac, iPad, and AppleTV, then started watching Tailscale video help. Got lost. So…thought, ‘OK, I wonder…’ opened the ARC app, it loaded up, I turned the iPhone’s Wi-Fi off - and hey presto! It works.
Drove out to a local forest (to double check) and grooved away to my tunes stored here in the apartment, like a thing possessed.
The caveat is - I don’t know what/how it works, but it does. The Tailscale Admin panel says the iMac is an ‘exit node,’ maybe that’s what’s doing it.
So, if you’re having a Double NAT problem, maybe consider using Tailscale and see if it works for you too - it’s free.
I hope a solution is also welcome here, if not, please delete.

Been discussed just a little before :grin: