Tailscale on Nucleus One

I would really consider buying a Nucleus One in the coming months but only if it were possible to install Tailscale on it. The reason for that is that ARC works well with Tailscale, no need for any port forwarding. Any chance Tailscale on Nucleus could happen in the future?

Just like the Nucleus and Nucleus+, the One will run just Roon.

As @Menzies said it’s not likely to happen.

Having recently moved from Rock to DietPi on my 10th Gen NUC I and a number of others are very happy with running Roon on it.

While you could possibly run Dietpi on a Nucleus One, getting a NUC that’s new or Secondhand up and running a with DietPi is pretty easy.

Lots of flexibility for running other services whilst keeping Roon at the highest priority

1 Like

I have just setup pivpn with wireguard on my DietPi box, also running Roon Server and PiHole.

Works perfectly

Also benefit PiHole and blocking

As can be seen in my screenshot, playing To an endpoint at home and my mobile on 4G LTE

If I was on another WiFi network I’d benefit a better experience.

All on a Dell Optiplex micro PC

The Nucleus One looks a great addition to the Roon Nucleus family, not for me though.

Very nice :+1:
Please don’t tell anyone but I have been happy with Roon ARC for the last couple of months :grimacing:

I have looked at Wireguard as an option if needed but I have been completely happy with the subnet routing features provided by TailScale so far, excluding Roon Remote.
Nice to know you have used it and got it working though :clap:

I agree for me as well, but I feel there is a good sized audience who will outgrow 7th and 8th gen Nucs and for them I feel it is a great option and would become even better if they expanded to add some additional services as @Alexander_Barnell has requested.

But given we don’t even have basic monitoring I don’t see that happening

1 Like

I use Tailscale for ARC and PlexAmp (mainly PlexAmp) and use Dietpi as my base, way better than ROCK I was using before. More flexible and very reliable and well supported on their forum by the main devs.

Roon really need to adopt a zero trust system like Tailscale or Zerotier if they want to get more users to be able to use ARC and be more secure.

2 Likes