Talking about your favorite sound engineer of the day

John Newton

Interview and bio from the Dcs website : https://dcslegends.com/john-newton

The world of classical music is an endless ocean, always reviving with the tides and waves of new interpretations, new recordings, each one completing, sometimes replacing the former… There is no such thing as a path to discovering classical music; each one of us is the path. It is made of encounters, family and friends, concert halls, and now streaming services like Tidal, Qobuz, and of course Roon. Roon offers me a new way. I have always been sensitive not only to the interpretation, but first and foremost to the recording. Because i know that I listen to a reproduction. I then would like to pay tribute to the sound engineers. They actually make what we hear. With the composer and the interpreter, they are the third artist, the one that along with my gears and my listening room helps me suspend my disbelief… This week I (re)discovered John Newton, no way I will introduce him to you, I think he is too famous. But if you don’t know his work, just take a look at his discography; it’s worth it!
Here are my favorite:

3 Likes

Mercury’s Wilma Cozart Fine and C. Robert Fine we’re responsible for the great Mercury recordings of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Paray.

Perfectly clear, natural recordings.

1 Like

John Newton is terrific. Also Tony Faulkner and the late Michael Bishop (I forgot Keith Johnson)

1 Like

The only sound engineer I know personally with some credentials in the recording world is Simon Allen…

Here is his work with the Tubular Bells 50th anniversary

3 Likes