Technique for faster copies to internal storage

You love us! It’s very flattering and we appreciate it a ton… It’s easy to get emotional when something touches you and it makes us feel great when we see that you all love the product and the way we conduct business.

We are happy to get the help since we are so few, and there are so many posts… But be careful to not get heated up and create stress for yourself and others.

@MiveraAudio’s post uses dramatic language that can easily shake the pot for many… He does it often… just check other posts of his :wink: but if you tone down his language, his point is both valid and worthy of an answer… A less provocative way to say the same would be “why am I required to format the internal storage when it already is formatted in a supported format?” … But we all have our own ways of talking and it’s what gives us all unique character.

We found a few issues here… we use volume labels to know what drives are what role, so we’d need to change your volume label at a minimum, and we can’t do that for all filesystem types we support. We also format with certain block sizes and inode ratios that most people don’t think about when they format, because we know exactly the types of files that will be stored on this disk. The final reason is that if the drive goes internal to the hardware, it is not really serviceable easily. At that point we want to take over the disk for support purposes and they is no way to make that more clear than a reformat. If you had photos or backups or whatever there, it’s now clear that you won’t have access to that stuff. Note that the internal storage works differently than USB storage - it automatically becomes the default music folder of the OS.

ROCK is very opinionated… Much more so than Roon. It’s what allows it to do what it does so tightly.

Ugh… that was not my intent at all in that post. I say very little (if anything) about Roon’s superiority in that post. It was all about billing and our business model. I’m sorry to have messed up the message so badly.