Telarc Jazz Live Recordings

I’ve been seeking out Telarc Jazz releases of late - buying some CDs and finding them on Qobuz. Have stumbled upon two live recordings now, Oscar Peterson “A Summer Night In Munich” and Ray Brown Trio “Don’t Get Sassy” where full volume applause happens after a song ends, then about 1 second later is ABRUPTLY cut off and the next track just fires up. Sounds terrible. Usually engineers don’t botch live recordings in this way.

Roon is not skipping and I know gapless is working properly - is this just how they were edited? Does anyone else know if this is how the actual recordings are?

If that’s not how the CDs are, how does something like this even happen?

Ya see, this is why I have a hard time trusting streaming - weird stuff like this. I was going without it for a while then put it back into Roon and now another quirk. At least with my CDs, I know what I’m getting.

PS - it’s not my crossfade setting. It’s off and it only does this (so far) on these Telarc titles I’ve found

I don’t and can’t know, but strongly suggest to contact Qobuz for clarification with the issuing label!

Personally, I have not yet found any such butchered examples between my ripped and Qobuz supplied albums, other than them being different masterings or containing bonus material, so I think it’s been carelessly mastered, which would be a shame, really!

Fortunately, crossfading is available to help ameliorate such nastiness in the meantime.

Thanks…

I checked one of the offending titles on Tidal and Apple Music too, and it also exhibited the same behavior on those services. So you may be right - it could be just a poorly executed recording. Hard to believe with Telarc but who knows. Maybe something just went wrong in the “transfer” (is that what it’s called?) from label to streaming service.

I have one of the CDs on order and I’ll test it out when it arrives. I have other Telarc Jazz releases on CD and they don’t do this. If I get the CD and it does this…that will be a real buzzkill

And since I’m going on and on i’ll rant this-a-way: This is another reason I keep going back to CDs. With these older catalog titles, just where did the music streaming service files come from? No one really knows!

At least if I buy a CD and play/rip it I know exactly what it is I’m getting and where those files came from.

Most of the time? not a real problem. They sound fine. But when it does manifest it drives me nuts!

I like knowing as much of the provenance of these recordings as I can.

Why waste your time wildly speculating?
Contact Qobuz and let us know what they have to say!

It happens occasionally. Dylan‘s 1966 Royal Albert Hall concert was butchered on streaming by editing out the audience interaction throughout the whole show for which it’s most famous. (E.g., „Judas!“ as well as Dylan‘s announcements). You need to buy the CD to get the real thing.

1 Like

I remember some early classical downloads from the long-defunct Passionato where the labels (presumably as it affected Philips and Decca, but not EMI) had chosen to do a rapid fade at the end of each track, presumably assuming that downloading was all about tracks or songs and not works. Perhaps the live ambience from the end of the previous number has been lopped off as they (mistakenly)believe streamers will be put off or disturbed if they’re jumping into the middle of the album.

This may also be complicated by Telarc having changed hands and the label is somewhat in limbo. Whoever is handling them probably doesn’t give two hoots about quality as long as they’re getting streamed.

I’d feel confident the long-deleted CDs will be perfect. Telarc (when they still existed) really knew what they were doing.

1 Like

I happened to be at a record shop today and found one of the 2 CDs mentioned above cheap so I purchased it, played it at home, and it does NOT have edited / botched endings. It’s not the recording at all.

Something got mangled in the file that was delivered to all 3: Qobuz, Tidal and Apple Music

I won’t be reaching out to all 3 for an explanation. I will just continue to not fully trust streaming services.