Temporary use of iPhone as Roon endpoint?

I have a Roon Nucleus One on order. But until it arrives, I’m without music in my living room. My Roon core is currently on a Mac mini in my computer room (where it needs to stay).

An audio amigo suggests that I put the Mac mini on my WiFi network and put my iPhone on the equipment rack in the living room. Get an adapter and hook up my AudioQuest Dragonfly to the iPhone.

Then, since both the iPhone and the Mac mini are on the same WiFi network, maybe the Roon core will see the Dragonfly as an endpoint? I also have an iPad with Roon Remote on it for control.

Will this work? Is there anything special I need to do to enable communication?

Thanks - Glenn

Yes, of course. You can use your iPhone or iPad as a Roon end-point and use the other as a Roon controller. Get an Apple camera adapter from Apple or Amazon. They have both lightning and USB C, so get the correct one to connect to your iPhone or iPad. Get the one that has input for your power supply to keep it charged.

You Mac Mini will work best connected to your network by ethernet not WIFI. The iPhone and iPad would be OK connected to the same network (2.4 or 5) by WIFI.

2 Likes

Plan C: I think I already have the hardware I need (and it is already installed on my equipment rack)!

I have a Roku Ultra already on my audio rack. It is recognized by Roon as an endpoint. The Roku has a USB-C connector on it AND an Ethernet port. Since my Mac mini (with Roon core on it) can communicate with the Roku Ultra already via Ethernet, all I need is a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter (and I think I already have one of those in my parts box).

Then, I can plug the AudioQuest Dragonfly into the adapter’s USB-A socket and connect its stereo analog outputs to my AVR and/or the tube stereo system - MUSIC!!!

1 Like

Highly doubtful that you will get USB audio out from the Roku Ultra. The USB port is there for accessing local storage media.

AJ

1 Like

Jim’s answer is the one , I agree with @WiWavelength , the USB ports are probably data in only ala USB drive , my CA CXN was the same the USB DAC wouldn’t work

Using the iPhone / iPad via the camera kit and Dragonfly works fine , it’s one of my “patio alternatives” alongside BT Headphones

1 Like

Uh Oh, @WiWavelength - If you’re right, then I’m still stuck… Will try it out when my DAC arrives.

Hi @Mike_O_Neill - Camera adapter for iPhone, eh? Well, I have to go to the Apple Store today anyway; my phone charging cable died.

I am not sure what you are expecting from the Roku Ultra as a Roon endpoint. It definitely does not support RAAT. AirPlay would be my guess, and even then, it might be only AirPlay 2, which is not Roon compatible. But if the Roku Ultra does work as a Roon endpoint via AirPlay, just connect the HDMI output to the AVR mentioned elsewhere.

AJ

Or grab a Raspberry Pi 4 running RoPieee instead. That’s what I would do instead of using your iPhone. Either will work.

It’s called the Apple Camera kit , it has a Lightening plug and a USB socket , there is a version with USB C and USB socket and a third option with a USB socket and a charging port

After consideration, I’ll just wait for my Nucleus One to arrive. I can use headphones or my Apple Cinema Display until then.