Testing again after a few years

Hey;
three years have passed - no changes; lots of unnecessary gadgets and what you really need doesn’t work… (RDP, remote soundcard; playin directly from album list, etc. etc…)

3 Likes

And yet, here we all are enjoying Roon :joy:

6 Likes

Works great for me… which might just show that your expectations and Roon are on different paths.
If you have genuine suggestions, why not add a feature request or two?

2 Likes

We all have very different ideas of what is needed. But coming back only proves that whatever alternative solution(s) in use don’t do everything needed either.:slightly_smiling_face: I do hope you find something, and if you do let us have the details so we can point others who are unhappy with Roon in that direction. There is room enough for us all in this hobby.

3 Likes

Maybe because there are already way too many vital feature requests that have not been acted on even after 5 years?

I have sympathy with the op as I was here three years ago, loaded my music, looked at the results, thought WTF? - and deleted Roon again straight away.

Three years later: Not much has improved, its still an uphill struggle but at least after investing a ton of time things starts to make some sense.

I wonder how high (or better low) the conversion rate is between trial and subscription…

6 Likes

Completely agree :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It’s a compromise… if the balance of compromise fits what you want, use it; if not, don’t.

I don’t use half the gadgets in my car; but it does most things the way I want.

If you can’t accept that sometimes you need to live with less than perfect, you’re never going to be happy with anything…

5 Likes

A philosopher’s guide 1.0.1 :sunglasses:

3 Likes

DLNA ( UPnP) doesn’t work; Core doesn’t work without loging user (why not as a sevice); have to work hard to remove anything from anywhere. should I mention reasons further?

1 Like

Just curious, what thing is anything and where is anywhere?

1 Like

Presumably ‘delete’. It is purposefully less permissive than an OS, based on years of experience from (apparently) clueless users who “Didn’t think that delete actually meant it would remove the album”.
That said, Roon also has a philosophy to leave your music untouched, and deletion is the ultimate form of touching, digitally. So there is some coherence there.

1 Like

That’s what one presumes but who knows. I have no need for DNLA, but don’t follow Core gripe albeit I am on MacOS. Anyway might be useful to further explain complaints before mentioning “reasons further”.

UPNP will never work with Roon and they have explained that fully from the start. They developed RAAT to do the job properly

RDP works fine now - after upgrade Win10 to v2004 (may edition) :grinning:.
music similar to” is impressive - exactly hits my taste!

DLNA is utter pants why would you ever want to use it? Its shambolic nature is what drove me to look elsewhere and ultimately to discover Roon in the first place.

If you need the Core to start from power-on without login then use Linux, ROCK or a Nucleus etc rather than Windows.

3 Likes

I agree with Chris. What is it about Roon that drives people to come back time and again to rant about shortcomings, quit, often in high dudgeon, and then revisit to rant again (and again!).
Enjoy the music.

5 Likes

Exactly my experience. UPnP drove me up the wall - Roon, despite a few shortcomings, is a joy to use in comparison.

3 Likes

Roon core runs as a service for me. I created a non-root, system user account for Roon, installed it as that user, and ensured the service launched as that user when the system boots - works great. I’m using Linux for my backend service.

I find deleting albums to be a bit convoluted - Edit -> Delete.

Can you explain the playing directly from the album list please? On a PC one can right click, or long press on a touch screen (and I assume on a mac - not used one for Roon), on the album and choose “play now”.

I started using Roon to seamlessly integrate my local music with my streaming service - that was enough for me to want it. The clickable info etc.was great, but the latest “killer feature” is listening to “live radio” streams and clicking on the info supplied from the streaming service to get to the detailed info surfaced by Roon, and then adding albums from my streaming service to my library - I’m getting to hear lots albums I’ve never even heard of using this approach - its fantastic - for me.

2 Likes

Completely agree. Never thought I would make much use of live radio, but since Roon started exposing the track metadata from many stations in this way, it is rapidly becoming my preferred discovery mechanism in Roon. Of course you need a few stations that float your boat, but I am getting there.

[Rant alert] Shame that BBC radio has become such a closed shop in this regard, with - to my knowledge - no metadata in their streams. BBC Radio 6 Music is a joy, but hamstrung from the day it was decided to corral users to the utterly useless BBC sounds app.

Now I am way off-topic and will shut up :wink:.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with the BBC sounds app except I can’t get at it via Roon. I use it a lot and Bluetooth it. Let’s me catch up on Radio Drama and Comedy shows.