Testing again after a few years

Same here. Running Roon server from an old HP laptop with Windows 10. Of course I plan to upgrade to NUC or something similar in the future, but so far Windows has not been an issue at all. Roon starts right out of the bat and logs into my account, so the very few times I have to reboot I am able to use the service again in a matter of seconds.
To get back on topic, I get Roon has limitations. In my case, I am rewriting the whole genre metadata of ALL the music in my library (both local and Tidal) because the Allmusic/Tivo genre scheme is completely useless. Also, I still can’t understand why track level genre is not supported; the explanations I got from the team make absolutely no sense. And there are a lot of UI improvements that are long overdue (Playing Now screen, for starters).
But.
That said.
Roon is BY FAR the best music environment I have ever tried, and I think I tried them (mostly) all. Academic (classic) music composition/performance works great; multi zone management is Dikembe Mutombo’s head and shoulders above the competition; several ways to discover new music and artists; user interface (even with its problems) is great… And I should mention I use Roon with the lowest of the low kind of equipment. No streamers, no fancy DACs, nothing.
Just to give you an example of how versatile Roon is. I found the other day an old Android phone nobody was using. I downloaded Roon app, connected the headphone out to a powered speaker and now I have a new zone in my beadroom where I can listen music to, perfectly integrated via wifi to the rest of the system. Can you do something like that with any of the other services?

3 Likes

The fact that I was right, and that 1.7 was a rough product is proven by numerous good changes introduced in 1.8 … :laughing:

So I have an impression that this your former statement was only an attempt to manipulate emotions…