Testing the B&W Formation Duo

I am planning to buy these in few weeks!
I heard them in BW offices and they sounded terrific to me
Many nice reviews as well putting them as a standard of their kind
So is it worth the investment?

I cannot find something similar in the business
I heard the Dali Rubicon 2c as well but I prefer the BW by far
Maybe the Dynaudio but their software / compatibility seems to be steps behind…

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Ps: did you manage to make them work with Logitech harmony?

I think they sound great. I never maneged to get them to work with Harmony. If they are worth the investment for you I can’t say. The Buchardt A500 is worth trying also.

How do these perform at low volumes ?
This would be an important thing for me

As I remember they performed well at low levels.
Not to push the Buchardts again (I’m not affiliated:) but they have build in loudness compensation that helps with low level listening. Here a description from their website:
(https://www.buchardtaudio.com/a500-detailed-description)
Automatic ISO 226:2003 Compensation = Low Level Enhancement - LLE
It is well known and documented in research, that the perceived sound balance is dependent on the level at which sound is reproduced. Best example is that with traditional loudspeakers, when listening at quieter levels, there is very little experienced bass and treble reproduction, although at louder level the bass and treble is clearly present. Since we are in control of the entire sound-reproduction chain of the speakers, we can predict the exposed level of sound at the listeners ears, which means we are able to compensate for this effect completely and very accurately. However, we will only do this compensation at low levels (<70dB), where we know most listeners will not perform their critical listening. The outcome from this compensation is a smooth and constantly adapting timbre to the sound, so that it will also sound dynamic and impressive at lower levels, where you can have conversations at the same time during listening. This is a very well engineered feature primarily aimed at professorial use in studios. It allows the mastering engineers to work at lower volumes and still get a precise representation of the music. This allows for much longer work sessions without getting fatigued. For HiFi use, if you often listen at lower volumes this would be a game changer for you!

Just to weigh in on this… recently purchased the Duo’s, they play fantastically at low volumes (I have two young children, yet to be woken by our late night sessions…).

1 Like

I haven’t looked back. Running them off a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93P as a ROCK, have had no issues at all.

Thanks for input! Very helpful !
The buckhard A700 seem fantastic as well but they are not Roon Ready …

Hi there,
Anyone could confirm, whether the Formation Audio is limited to 96kHz when connected to Roon or it could transmit higher sample rates as well?
I would like to use it as an endpoint connected to an external DAC via coax cable.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, all the Formation suite of products are “limited” to 96 kHz. Even if you have golden ears I wouldn’t consider that a deterrent.

They sound wonderful with Roon.

1 Like

Listening to formation duo with original stand, Wi-Fi connected, Roon ROCK running on intel nuc7i5 internal hard disk with local lossless tracks, tidal premium, so far so good. Perfect for someone who like music more then playing with hifi equipments. I will convert my cd collection to flac and store on nuc harddisk.

Sound wise very appealing on pop, rap, r&b. Plenty of bass for such small speaker, vocal is very good, high is a bit doubt for my old ear.

It is note that occasionally one speaker loss connection and need to restart, but not a big deal so far, this may be a problem of my Wi-Fi router which is Netgear nighthawk MS60 AX1600 mesh.

1 Like