Text view mode?

I suspect I am just overlooking it, but I can’t find a toggle for a list (text) mode for artists and albums so I don’t have to scroll through images of album covers to browse through my library. Is there one?
David - Dallas

Nope there is not.

1 Like

You can use the keyboard (real or onscreen) to get straight to any where in the ABC listing. I use it quite a lot to go straight to wherever I want in a very long list of artists…without ever needed to see a list.

The keyboard works if I know what I’m looking for, but not well for browsing.

Album cover view is for browsing. Like flipping through your albums.

I browse my lp’s by looking at the text on their spines. I have a lot of lp’s and a lot of digital content.

I also have a lot of albums and find the browser view pretty good at helping me choose stuff. Lists and pages of lists (like the original slimserver pages) were quite tedious. In either case a keyboard is required unless you are happy to swipe until you hit the required place on the a-z.
I quite like that I am not reading as such. It is much more like LP browsing front on rather than spines.
Roon really excels at getting me from one bit of music to another I hadn’t thought of (links in reviews, credits etc).

1 Like

I would be quite depressed if Roon introduced a text-based “browser”.

2 Likes

I may not have made myself clear. I would like a toggle option for a text view. I find the album view similarly tedious in iTunes. I love having the album cover and additional info while listening but less so while choosing what to listen to.

1 Like

Maybe it just comes down to individual preference for how we view and sort info … text vs image. I have many thousands of albums and seeing them all listed in text is just awful for me. It’s a huge amount of scrolling and reading.
When I scroll through covers I pretty much know what I see without reading too much. Feels more like it did with the physical media.

We know that the Roon designers feel the same as this is clearly part of the “what is Roon” story on the web site. If they were going to do a list based view it would have been done first off.

1 Like

One of the points of Roon is to get you browsing slowly through your collections, reading reviews and making connections via credits to discover things. Having scrolled both ways, album covers is a much preferable method unless I’m working out or driving, which I’d want a text list instead. With album covers, I stop and look at albums that if I had been just reading a text list, I would not have stopped to revisit the music.

Especially when using a small screen , eg my iphone, to control Roon and my listening; I find the cover mode to be profoundly inefficient. We can agree to disagree but having the option would make it a moot point. Do we need a poll?

Post it as a Feature request in the Feature Request forum?

There’s a Feature Request for browse by folder but I can’t recall one which asks simply for text.

The problem with creating options is the opportunity cost of development. Other things have to wait or be abandoned in order for an option to be developed.

There won’t be a poll because Roon is not a democracy. The devs are very receptive to member feedback however, and have changed direction in the past based on member suggestions. That doesn’t mean, of course, that every suggestion or Feature Request is granted. Ultimately someone has to choose the vision and future of Roon, and I’m very happy to pay for the devs to do that.

Good idea, there have been comments about the issue but no feature requests. I just submitted one.

What is the status of this feature request for 5 years ago - to provide the option to list artists and albums as text instead of the current image-centric view. For example, give users the ability to choose to set the image size as you can typically do in Windows File Explorer - small, medium, large, none, etc. This would allow more information to be displayed each time you scoll.

Well, this is not the Feature Request section, so this thread is not a Feature Request. I am sure there is one in the Feature Request section where you can add your vote for the Feature.

However, there are a couple of things which the devs have stated will probably never happen. File/Folder browsing is one of them, as is UPNP support as another example.

Sorry, I am a programmer. There is no technical reason why this can’t be done, or is even difficult to do, so it must be someone’s idea of how they want to navigate the user interface. You list out the songs on an album this way, what is the problem with listing artists in the same way?

Hmm, well I am a fellow user like you, not official Roon staff, so can only comment from other posts I’ve read on the topic.

It is not so much that they can’t do it, or that it is hard to do it, but, and I would guess, it currently doesn’t fit into their vision of their product. The devs have complete nixed any hope of a folder view of your library, for example.

1 Like