The Akasa Plato X8 is out!

Got the Turing early this week. Ships from the U.K. on Newegg or Akasa. Expedited delivery at $30 literally got it to my door the next day. Sunday night order in the US is a Monday morning in the U.K. by Tuesday morning before 10:30 it was here.

Best $30 ever if you’re itching for it.

I was a little confused on how to get the motherboard out of the NUC. There are no instructions on that. I saw a YouTube video which still didn’t make it clear. Basically it comes out if you’ve removed the screws. You may have to find ways to pry it out. You might get lucky and a good hit to the top might have it fall out.

Installation is the easiest thing ever. Just 4 screws in. Wireless takes some work to take the sticker off and find places to put it in the Turing. I used Loctite putty to secure the wireless antennas. I don’t use wireless so I didn’t test it yet. But I want it functional in case I need it.

I don’t understand what the antenna holes are designed for. The front mic array holes are designed understandably. The antennas are like metal clips and they don’t go through the case antenna holes. The instructions don’t go beyond mentioning those holes exist.

The meat:

Wow this case is a game changer. No noise ever again. But I also use the NUC as a gaming machine with an eGPU 2080ti vía thunderbolt.

This case has changed the game here. I can use Intel XTU and make the power limit 50w. No more throttling. No more stutters or pauses while playing. It’s XTU benchmark was 1200 before. Now it hits 1526. That’s greater than 25% performance increase.

For Roon purposes it will be quiet and will perform much better if you do any complex convolution. It will match some full size desktops in performance now.

Also how cool is it that it looks like huge amp heatsink? You could even say it’s a power amplifier and people would believe it.

I intend to set it vertically on a 120mm 120v variable speed fan. Of course for Roon that is unnecessary and it would be switched off. I would turn it on only for benchmarking etc.

The internal NUC cooler imho is not adequate for this machine. Even just running Roon only it spins up at maximum speed randomly. Maybe during some database cleanup. But it was intrusive during listening. This machine needs a quiet case.

1 Like

Those holes are to install a set of external wi-fi antennas like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E29566W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you ever go that route make sure to get a set with the proper connector for your wi-fi card.
Enjoy!

2 Likes

Ahhh! Now I see. Thank you.