"The Beatles are overrated." Discuss!

I hope I’m not being taken too seriously
I should have put a :blush:
I like reading about The Beatles and other bands even when I don’t agree
It’s almost always at least entertaining for me
Since 1970 I’ve always bought records in real time and in the past so liking The Beatles and new records at the same time is a given
I would like to see the other 50 hours of film although a bit more spread out over time
Hell I’d even like to see Bob Dylan’s eccentric multiple hours Renaldo and Clara again after 40 years😄

I’m not a huge fan of their early work. But from Rubber Soul onwards, they are masterful.

Do you think songs grow on trees?

1 Like

The article seems to be based on a false premise - namely that we need to say goodbye to music that was recorded in the past, as if it were akin to letting go of something that has “died”.

This band made profoundly beautiful music, and as a society and a species, we have a very hard time saying goodbye to the things we love.

The Beatles may have split up long ago, but there is no need to say goodbye to that which still exists (their recorded output). This is very different from hanging on to something (or someone) that is no longer with us.

The author then builds upon this false premise to reach a conclusion based upon a false dichotomy - namely that it’s an either/or decision to listen to music from the past or music from the present. As others have said, the reality is that we can do both.

The Beatles’ music is still greatly significant for many artists today. Good music does not live in the past but lives in the present moment.

Sure, there’s more to life (and music) than the Beatles, but a life lived without ever listening to them is a life less lived! And I say this as somebody who hasn’t listened to one of their albums for many years.

6 Likes

The job Peter Jackson the director did restoring and upgrading the film footage and the amazing HD sound quality Jiles Martin achieved blew me away !! The most incredible part for me was after watching their struggles writing and rehearsing for the days leading up to the live rooftop concert but then seeing once they started to play live for what would be their last live performance ever, they turned into the polished tight cohesive unit they were when they played Hamburg or the Cavern proving why they were the best band of all time…

1 Like

i’ve seen several clips on Youtube, to me it seems there is always an agressive air around in the studio even when they try to be funny

Even more so, when you consider that the whole thing was shot on 16mm film!

https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1178&context=macnewsletter

To recover so much detail from such a small negative, interpolate to 4K DV AND mix the sound to 5.1 is a landmark achievement.

4 Likes

Exactly. This documentary is a real life look (and much better understanding, if one is patient enough for that type of study) at how creativity works. An amazing job by Peter Jackson to rescue this footage and take the three years it took to bring it all together in this wonderful documentary. Filmmaking and the spotlight on a truly remarkable and brilliantly unique group of talented song makers. A very special program for those of us who marvel at such things. Count me one. And the music is just plain awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I sometimes compare The Beatles to the Mini … stick with me.

The influence of that front transverse engine monocoque design is so massive, all pervading, that it is almost invisible.

Someone recently said something like ‘Why do people think I am so wrong not to like The Beatles’. I gave a similar answer. Saying you don’t like The Beatles is like saying you don’t like music.

1 Like

Here’s a fascinating short video and article showing how the video and sound were restored.

IMO ‘Get Back’ is genius, and I found Pt’s two and three incredibly moving, to the point of tears throughout, and it wouldn’t have had the same impact if the documentary had been cut shorter. Leave it to the film makers to know what they’re doing. My only complaint was the abrupt ending. Other than that, it’s quite possible the best, most important music doc ever made.

3 Likes

This is a silly topic. What’s next, Albert Einstein is overrated?

1 Like

It’s a given that most people think the music that they discovered in their adolescent years (when the music you liked was part of forming your identity and discovering the world), is the best music ever made and all music after that is just a bad copy of the music ‘they’ discovered. That’s of all times and that’s why most Beatles fans for example will never know that there is a whole lot of very good new music being made each and every day.
So, the Beatles are overrated? No, don’t think so but they are also not that special as the fans would like you to believe.

1 Like

What a lot of guff :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I know, not a popular statement. The Beatles is OLD music, no matter how you look at it. There is a whole new generation who has never heard of the Beatles and that is not a shame. It’s not that they miss anything.

1 Like

Nor even accurate I’d wager. Please provide the source of your information on ‘most Beatles fans’ for reference.

But these ‘new generation music’ fans are certainly missing something.
Opinions are always welcome, but seriously! Name me some current ‘Artistes’ that will be similarly revered 50 years after the band ceased to function? I live approx 20 minutes from Liverpool and my wife is a proud Scouser, so maybe my viewpoint is a little skewed. Anyhow, show me a band that moved through genres and ideas as fast as The Beatles and I will gladly open a discussion with you.
I’ve only seen part one of the docu so far, but the audio and video quality is astounding, along with the subject matter being fascinating. I’m used to crappy bootleg audio /VHS of these Let It Be sessions, so this is a joy for me. :sunglasses:

This is a general comment and not a critique of the last poster.

Do people who talk down about The Beatles actually know much about music as such?

True, their early music was basic but if you see the speed with which they learned and grew it is absolutely astounding. From August 65 until Augut 66 they wrote, recorded and released:
Help - Released: 6 August 1965
Rubber Soul - Released: 3 December 1965
Revolver -Released: 5 August 1966

Do you honestly know ANY modern artist that productive or showing such growth?

You should view Rick Beato’s youtube videos on this mini-series and The Beatles in particular.

If you appreciate music and musical ability his videos are very enlightening and don’t miss his interview with Sting.

Anyway, respect for The Beatles goes a lot further than base nostalgia.

4 Likes

What constitutes OLD MUSIC. Is it 10, 20, 30, 40 or more years?

Is Bach stoneage?

Bach, Mozart and Beethoven are hundreds of years old. Does it make them irrelevant?
In the interview with Rick Beato I mentioned above Sting (who I hope is still a relevant artist) mentions that he practices Bach every day, yes sits at his feet, like the master he is.

Unless we are just (dumb) music consumers with no context to anything how can you write them off as OLD?

1 Like

The Beatles. Ludwig van Beethoven. No difference.

3 Likes