The Best End Point?

IMO the only time problems occur is when the software is updated. If you stick to a given linux and software version I do not see why operating a Pi or a Sparky would cause any issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. We are going to play with a few different solutions to see what works best for us and our clients.

So far, the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra with SPS-500 power supply is our favorite. This pair sounds wonderful and is easy to setup and update.

Brian, did anyone list off NAD/Bluesound as a viable endpoint option? The Node2 is flexible and affordable. And if you do a lot of custom home/multi-room, NAD’s custom range has Bluesound built in.

My experience with the Pi or Pi related products hasn’t left me terribly convinced it’s a reliable solution for custom clients.

Cheers,
James

One you might take a look at is the Audio Alchemy DMP-1. Comes highly recommended by a bay area integrator who knows what he is doing.

1 Like

I like the Audio Alchemy line, but it doesn’t support AirPlay, which is a must.

The new Allo Katana DAC with Ropieee or DietPi offers what looks like an excellent quality solution at USD $249 for the HAT.

I found both Sparky and Pi to not be reliable enough for the wife or kids this is why I got a dedicated system for the front room. There would always be an issue when they came to listen like an auto update that didn’t work or just hung. I am finding the Allo bridge to be unstable as it just kicks off my DAC from time to time again always when somebody else less technical needs to use it.

They can work well in some setups but in others not so much so be wary of this going into it if your planning on using them for paying customers. They are fine for the DIY enthusiast but not for those that are not. IMO.

2 Likes

Yeh I said the same earlier in the thread.

I enjoy the DIY aspect personally but if I were in the business of supplying and installing gear, I would go to the Bluesound products for non-USB endpoints (this probably covers the majority of customers) and Sonore for USB endpoints - rock solid reliability. Which should mean less service/support phone calls and visits.

Is this down to the software side, rather than the hardware? It seems to me that the hardware (an RPi + HAT) is pretty solid, but that issues can arise with the software, particularly if a new update is available.

Over the past couple of years I’ve tried various software packages on my RPi’s: software supplied direct by the HAT manufacturer (IQaudio and HiFiBerry), DietPi and Ropieee. The latter seems to be the simplest and most solid, with DietPi not far behind, but it has many more bells and whistles that I don’t need. I’ve stopped using software direct from the HAT manufacturers.

@CrystalGipsy
@dabassgoesboomboom
@Geoff_Coupe

This is exactly the kind of discussion and feedback I’m looking for. How good and stable are SBC solutions? I’m comparing to the SOtM streamers in regards to quality and simplicity.

@james_d

I like the NAD/Bluesound product and have worked with it on a couple of projects. It’s on my short list of AirPlay/Roon options.

I have preferred the Yamaha/MusicCast solution in the past and still like/use it, but it doesn’t do Roon.

I gave my old man (dad) my old Allo DigiOne to use with his Denon AVR 4520 (fed with Roon + HQPlayer).

It’s running DietPi and has been a ‘set it and forget it’ solution and had no issues, mainly because he never attempts to update it (he wouldn’t know how either).

I flew to visit the parents this past weekend and I updated it (since there have been a couple DietPi updates) and I broke it… lol. The irony of me complaining about him breaking things and I’m the one that breaks it. The update process messed up. No big deal for me anyway, I just did a clean install but he’d have NO CHANCE at a clean install.

Before I added HQ Player to his system (on my old sonicTransporter i7 that I gave him), he was running the DiGiOne with RoPieee and a couple of times RoPieee’s self rebooting did mess up and I had to help with a clean install via TeamViewer (which still needs him removing the SD card from the unit).

So DietPi works well for him because there is no self-rebooting and no self-updating - so that works well for me too (no calls for help). I can leave him with DietPi and know that nothing should go wrong until I touch it the next time :grin:

So he’s running my old sonicTransporter i7 (for both Roon + HQPlayer) feeding my old Sonore Rendu in one system and my old Allo DiGiOne in his other system.

Apart from some early HQPlayer dramas which were sorted with a HQPlayer NAA update, there’s been no phone calls to me about things breaking, since the start of this year.

As I mentioned further up in this thread, I use and really love a USBridge. But there’s no chance I’d swap out his Rendu for this USBridge - and it’s got nothing to do with sound quality. I’ve had to do a clean install on the USBridge a couple of times during updates and that’s not something the old man would have any chance with.

So if I were in the installs business, I’d be looking to setup systems for my old man, rather than for people like me, i.e. looking for (almost) bullet proof solutions - hence my Bluesound recommendation for non-USB endpoints and Sonore Rendu for USB endpoints.

Speaking of bullet proof, I messed around with powerline adapters and wireless mesh systems to help him with sending audio around the house but had issues with DSD512 up-sampling. In the end I spent $1500 to have Cat 6 run everywhere and it was the best $1500 I’ve spent on anything audio related - bullet proof reliability with HQPlayer DSD512 (and PCM768kHz) up-sampling to any room of his house.

1 Like

I imagine SoTm and Sonore will be more reliable than an SBC based system as they are purpose built for one thing. I can’t say how much more reliable or if they really are as I don’t own one. I don’t think any system is 100% foolproof or reliable as even my Naim Uniti Atom is prone to throw a hissy fit. Owning a number of SBC systems from USBridge to pi’s I know they are not for those of us who like a simple turn it on and forget solution. Doesn’t stop me using them but I don’t mind the challenge much to the families dismay. Also they don’t look that great but I would imagine you would get better markup from using them, but with more support to be handed out. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Fwiw I have 2 RPi systems based on IQAudio HATs and running Volumio. I’d say every few months something doesn’t quite work as it should and I need to reboot but otherwise they have been completely stable. I update Volumio with roughly the same frequency, or at the same time.

I’d agree with others here: the Allo USBridge is a great DIY product, but if you’re supporting clients, a Rendu bridge is probably a better bet. At one time I had a mRendu, but I sold it and got the Allo instead. My ears couldn’t detect any difference, but I also haven’t done blind A/B testing…

When SBC’s are incorporated into commercial products, updates are few and far between and access to the devices are locked down. You couldn’t offer a commercial product based on the open OS’s we are all effectively helping to develop. Also I don’t think a commercial product based on SD card operation is good practice. You need boards with EMMC which is much faster for boot up or updates. When you consider all of the work needed to get something up to a decent commercial quality you are best served using an off the shelf solution.

I use Ropieee with the Allo DigiOne. It has been completely reliable and requires no user intervention once it has been set up. Roon only. Truly impressive reliability and stability. I need to make a donation!

I tried Dietpi before Ropieee. It was decent, but would require a reboot or power cycle once every few days to couple weeks at best. Stability and reliability are OK for geeky hobbyists, but I wouldn’t want to support an average consumer using it.

3 Likes

Hmm, I’ve used RPi/DietPi for over a year. Never turned it off or rebooted, apart from Roon doing it for updates.

This is one of the reasons I’m going to try an Allo Sparky (running DietPi, Shairport and Roon Bridge). EMMC seems to be faster and more stable.

EMMC is not susceptible to errors caused by turning off machine without shutting it down first.

However, it’s been my understanding that DietPi isn’t affected by that problem.

1 Like

They are SBC based systems, just more expensive than Pis, etc.

I have an SMS-200 and its OS got cooked at some point, probably by a power outage, and I had to reinstall.

1 Like