The BIG fight against noise in the audio setup

Physically, — bundle the signal lines together and do the same for the power. Then separate the two bundles by 6 inches if possible. There are times when connecting to components that they must cross - if that happens cross over them at 90 degrees ( like crossing the train tracks)

3 Likes

Thanks… I’ll try

I’ve followed a similar approach to @Badbruno 's recommendations with very good results on for multiamp (and sometimes multiDAC) headphone listening rack. I use some clear packing tape to hold signal cables together against the back of shelves, and away not only from power cables but also power transformers. I lay out the individual components to minimize cable crossings. Finally, I have used some pricier power cables (Shunyata Venom) mainly because I’ve determined experimentally that the way they are built appeared to reduce induced AC noise on nearby RCA audio cables, when I’m using components that require RCA connections. But I’ve also found that placing some wooden separators and ensuring power/signal crossings are at 90 degrees is effective.

1 Like

I think the op has OBS - objective derangement syndrome. Needs to give it a rest.

Know what I bought over the weekend: a scratch and dent pair of KEF LS50W II’s. Sound absolutely brilliant and no cables or LPS’s or SFP’s or black or silver boxes anywhere (except the two power ones) so nothing to worry or obsess over - not that I did that before - one can make upgrades because it’s ‘fun’ - remember what that used to be?

Anyway, I’m now convinced wireless is the future and I don’t see myself buying another piece of ‘cabled’ hifi again. Setup and connection to Roon took all of about five minutes, a lot longer than screwing together the speaker stands.

1 Like

I’m glad it’s working for you, but as you can see on this forum so often and I can tell you from personal experience, WiFi, even with the best access points and layout, can go quickly from great to useless for Roon thanks to changes like someone with an overpowered competing WiFi setup moving next door and causing enough packet drops that RAAT gives up and skips tracks.

2 Likes

I’m also convinced by that. Just the future it is not here yet. And it is expensive, hard to implement and manage (at least when compared to a cable). I have about 15 meters with 4 walls to cover. But in the future…

1 Like

Now find a KEF sub on Craigslist with matching scratches and price :face_with_monocle:

Agree re wireless. And want to add DSP and active crossovers.

1 Like

THX @Charles_Peterson - That is good to know.

2 Likes

C’mon now, has everybody forgotten about the oldest remedy in the book to get the best audio quality, period?

Consume a little of cannabis!

7 Likes

Pls do not remove the noise, I was listening to that

1 Like

And actually that covers much of the subjective listening “tests” as well, which its proponents don’t realize despite endless evidence. Increasing the focus during the listening - whether by cannabis or by trying to find a difference in new gear - changes the perception all by itself.

That doesn’t mean that I didn’t think that my gear sounded better to me than the alternatives I tried, but it shouldn’t be ignored.

2 Likes

Thinking about. I did get this from my local dealer - small crease in the driver but otherwise unused, most likely made by a shop assistant pulling it out of the box. I can’t hear anything wrong, and I don’t buy hifi as an investment. With some trade in of unused gear, I got it down to $1300 with new matching stands. The Asus gaming router is inches away from one speaker, feet from the other in a real open room, so that helps., best to keep networking as direct as possible. Zero hiccups so far. Planning on a pair of LSX II’s at some point for the adjoining living/TV room, which I can group for parties.

2 Likes

Alcohol works very well too. Just look at the number of threads around wine, whisky, drinking while listening etc. on here and other audio discussion sites.

Sip a drink, toke on a joint, whatever floats your boat. Whatever you accompany it with, just enjoy the music. After all, isn’t that first and foremost why we’re all here?

2 Likes

That’s a really nice looking place you’ve got there Charles. I really like big, open plan spaces, but with houses costing around £600/sq ft where we live in the UK, space comes at a high price…

1 Like

Thank you Graeme. We just moved in Nov 20th - floors were being finished the day before. It’s been a crazy couple of months like that. But we now have over twice the square footage from the old house, which is important with teenagers! It’s getting rarer and rarer to find anything in Seattle with space that’s halfway affordable or not a total fixer upper. I do a lot of the DIY and then we sub out for things like floors. It doesn’t have the charm of our old 1904 Box (going on the market next week - I was just over making the final touches on the yard) but the openness and light is refreshing with the new place. Plus it’s a now just a nine minute walk down to the lake through some Olmstead designed woods. Location, location…

4 Likes

It’s a small world - I have family in Gold River, Vancouver Island, not too far from you and friends in Portland and Kamloops. I think a lot of people perceive Seattle as a typically big city, but it’s located in a beautifully scenic area of the country surrounded by lakes, mountains and forests.

1 Like

Nice place. Worth the effort.

1 Like

We certainly have our fair share of big city problems, but they balance out with a lot of natural beauty. And downhill skiing (a passion) is only a forty minute drive away. It can be easy to forget how spoiled we are compared to many other cities.

2 Likes

Traian don’t wast you time with these people that don’t add to the subject. If they had something constructive to add they would. It they don’t

I have used this to fine noise … many different price points

2 Likes

Thanks Bruno. Hope one day I’ll have time to do it, anyway something neat I would like for those cables, now there is a forest of bushes behind the devices :slight_smile: Thanks for the noise probe link

1 Like