The "I didn't know that one" PIANO TRIO mega-thread

Wow, it took scrolling to posts in the 70’s to find The Bad Plus Mentioned! Many albums, highly recommended.

Any King Crimson Fans? They have two volumes.

2022-09-28_10-29-47

2 Likes

Don’t forget that my post with the Bad Plus also mentioned, for the first time on this great thread, E.S.T., another amazing piano trio with lots of great recordings. Unfortunately the trio’s leader, Esbjorn Svensson, died at the young age of 44 while scuba diving. At the time The Bad Plus were formed they were considered America’s answer to E.S.T., who were getting a lot of attention in the jazz press.

The Italians are here

3 Likes

Ran Blake trio, possibly the only one on record?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I added the five tracks available on Tidal/Qobuz to my queue for tonight. They are from Russian Rock Legends Vol. 4. :thinking:

Let’s keep this going with an early Geri Allen

1 Like

My mistake. I searched E.S.T. and that Russian Rock anthology came up but not the group you posted. Odd. I did get a bunch under the pianist’s name. Anyway, take 2 with some Jazz E.S.T. in my queue for tonight!

1 Like

Courtesy of Roon ARC - a Great piano trio led by the drummer: Roy Haynes Trio

3 Likes

You heard it here first! New release by Esbjorn Svensson Trio

https://tidal.com/album/249013327

L.E - oops this is a solo album but well worth breaking the rule for :sunglasses:

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

@cinematic
Hi Tom
Can you tell me where I could get the DSD256 Version of this? I only found PCM versions
thanks
Rudi

Ethan Iverson with RON Carter and Nasheet Waits… nice rendition of Horace Silver’s Song for my father

6 Likes

I found the album ‘MISTY for direct cutting’ in DSD256 for legal purchase on ototoy.jp
山本剛 / MISTY for Direct Cutting - OTOTOY
ototoy seems a good source for japanese content. e-Onkyo seems to only allow purchases with a japanese IP address and a japanese credit card
Rudi

Now all I need is DSD256 capability on the Rossini
:grinning:

EDIT: I have downloaded my purchase and am listening to the album now. It sounds to me like the piano is out of tune - pity.

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Too bad; Yamamoto is a favorite of mine. According to Roon, my Top 10 most played trios are:

1. Tord Gustavsen - Being There
  2. Stefano Bollani - Stone In The Water
  3. Jakob Bro - Gefion
  4. Bill Frisell - Valentine
  5. Tsuyoshi Yamamoto - Misty (1974)
  6. Marcin Wasilewski - January
  7. Ulrich Drechsler - Humans and Places
  8. Anour Brahem - The Astounding Eyes Of Rita
  9. Alboran Trio - Near Gale
  10. Gabor Varga - Cool Jazz Reload
2 Likes

*Oops. Not all piano trios. Next would be: Helge Lien - Badgers and Other Beings

1 Like

1 Like

Piano trios don’t often get any better than this:

The companion piece to this fantastic recording:

5 Likes

Caught this thread late, here are a few that I think have not appeared yet, in no special order; bold entries are especial favorites:

Trio 64 – Bill Evans, Gary Peacock, Paul Motian
Turas – Fregus McCreadie Trio
Uneasy – Vijay Iyer Trio
The Other Side – Tord Gustavsen Trio
Blues and Ballads – Brad Mehldau Trio
Danse – Colin Vallon Trio
Tangents – Gary Peacock Trio
Without Deception – Dave Holland Trio
Chants – Craig Taborn Trio
Break Stuff – Vijay Iyer Trio
Accelerando – Vijay Iyer Trio
D’agala – Sylvie Courvoisier Trio