The lightning flash

Hello all. What does the lightning flash actually indicate?
I am running Ropieee on a Rpi 4b with a Pi display and added an LPS off Aliexpress that (in theory) shows the voltage output on front display. Seemed to improve SQ.
After several months the lightning flash started flashing. Turned the voltage up from 5.0 to 5.1 and it stopped for a week or so. Now started again though LPS maxed out at 5.2v.
Seems unlikely that the RP is demanding more and more power, so I guess the LPS is putting out less and less, despite the display.
Any ideas?

How many Amperes does output your lps?
Rpi4 requires 5.1V 3A

Solupeak–HiFi 25W DC Linear Power Supply 5.1V 3.5A, Audiophile Regulated Converter Adapter, Upgrade for Raspberry pi 4 Model B

The flash indicates undervoltage.

Your problem likely is the connector interface between the power supply/cable/pi.
Does replugging at least temporarily „fix“ the problem?

BTW what kind of cable are you using - anything boutique?

Sorry, didn’t mean to shout! Pasted in large and bold without realising!

Do we know what level of undervoltage triggers the flash? I can hear no changes to SQ when it flashes, but that could be down to elderly ears :roll_eyes:
I have switched the LPS off to give it a rest and a cool down. Will check connections this evening.

Hi @Richard_Buckland

all Raspberry Pi models require 5.1V and 1A minimum to function in the best conditions, except for the Pico, which is built to work plugged into your computer.

How To Avoid “Under-voltage Detected” Errors On Raspberry Pi – RaspberryTips.

Further down the page it’ll show a table, RPi4 5.1v, 3Amp :man_shrugging:

So your power supply is way more adequate than what Raspberry states for the RPi4.

I have successfully operated a RPi4 with a 5.1v, 2Amp power brick.

What’s connected to the RPi4 DAC wise, assuming via USB?

I never noticed an under voltage error. My DAC had its own supply when in use. I also used a Dragonfly Cobalt with mine. Again no issues.

Thanks for that, I was thinking it was a Ropieee detection rather than a RPi hardware detection sending Ropieee the signal.
I have the RPi standard display plugged in (I wonder if it’s possible to power that separately), and it’s feeding Roon via USB to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M (with its own power of course).

If you think about it more closely, you‘ll realize it‘s data only at that stage, so there can be no influence on sound.

The only problem caused by severe enough undervoltage can be that the hardware on the board ceases to work as intended, eventually stalling operation and you not hearing anything anymore.

The Pi isn‘t even „sending that signal“ to Ropieee, but its hardware generates a visual overlay on the screen instead.

That‘s absolutely possible, and remove those power jumper wires from the GPIO header if hooked up that way.

So, started it up and listening again. No lightning flashes!
Strongly suspect LPS was overheating. Improved ventilation and so far so good.
Also realised that I’m running a FLIRC remote receiver off the RPi as well, but can’timagine that using a lot of power.

I have an RPI4 and an official PS.
I get the undersupply signal frequently.
But it seems to have no effect on anything.
I ignore it.

I am using an RPi 3+. It is powered by the official power supply and I power the (official) screen with a separate PS. After restarting the Pi the lightning icon goes away entirely for a few days, but it always comes back. Eventually it will appear so frequently that it is on the screen more often than it isn’t. I have just learned to ignore it, since nothing odd is happening other than the icon and this has been going on for years now. Or I just reboot to get rid of it for a while.

So, finally got around to powering the display separately, via the original RPi4b power supply, now surplus because of the LPS.
Immediately noticed that I needed a USB-C to Micro USB adapter which I ordered (at great expense!).
While waiting for delivery I decided to turn down the display brightness to see if that lowered the power demands, and, therefore the frequency of lightning flashes. It did! So I turned it up high… still no flashes!! No flashes seen now for several days. I can only think that I have improved a connection somewhere while figuring out and fiddling with the connections!? Or possibly a Ropiee update lowered power requirements and coincided with this??? Might try Deoxit next.
Confused , as usual.

How do you turn down display brightness?

Touch bottom right corner of the screen.