The optimal $3000 desktop system, v1.1?

Yea, the X14a sounds good, but with internal 96khz DSP they are not optimal for a good external DAC (although the DSP does improve the crossover phasing and stuff). That’s one of the reason I would like an upgrade either to separates or to a complete all-in-one package. The KEF LS50 Wireless also has this limitation, but unlike the X14A it has an internal DAC so only one A/D conversion.

You mentioned Focal Aria 906, that’s also an option for my separates system. Another safe (but quite boring) alternative is the ATC SCM7, or maybe the big passive brother of the ones I have now: Dynaudio X18.

So true. For the givers of advice also, it would seem.:wink:

1 Like

Window advice? :slight_smile: Some advice can be given from specs and reviews though

A store close to where I live have Audiovector QR1, Focal Aria 906, Dynaudio X14/18, KEF LS50 (both passive and wireless), Martin Logan Motion 35XT and more in setup for listening. I will visit and give some impressions.

1 Like

HI Magnus,

why don’t you just give the Nubert nuPro A-500 a try. This is a slim and powerful active speaker with build-in DAC and overall great perfomance for 1.800€/pair.

Best
Peter

… sorry, missed in my first response that you are looking for a desktop system. Have a look at https://www.nubert.de/nupro-aktiv-serie/420/ where you can also find fully active desktop speakers in the NuPro Speaker Series.

Mytek Brooklyn DAC and ADAM Professional Audio A3X Speakers should sort you out.

A $2000 DAC with $300 speakers!? I think my current $200 DAC with $1500 speakers + $300 sub sounds better than that.

Do you work for Linn? :slight_smile:

1 Like

More than just a DAC. This is a desktop system is it not?

Yea, but typically you would spend more on speakers than on a DAC since speakers gives you more SQ/$. Having said that, and considering the $3000 budget, a brooklyn dac with Adam A3X and a $700 sub would probably sound good, but I think you can get better sound for $3000.