The P6 Air is Roon Ready

After living with the speaker for a few weeks there are some glitches when grouped with other wired Roon endpoints. I sometimes have to turn off and on to fix the problem. When turning off and on it has to reestablish a wifi connection which seems to fix things.

1 Like

I’ve also noticed small issues with the P6 and grouped play. Sometimes Roon takes a long time to start playing. And I’ve also had to do a few restarts when it seems to be unresponsive.

Another tiny issue is that the battery in indicator in the app seems to have just 4 positions: 100%, 70%, 30%, 10%.

All told, I’m still very happy with the P6. It’s rock solid once the music starts. I don’t think I’ve had any dropouts or restarts after many days of continuous use.

1 Like

Totally agreed - on being rock solid. I have noticed the delay in starting which is not a big deal for me. In addition to the delay in starting, i have noticed that the music will pause/stop or skip songs when grouped with my other roon ready devices. I have to ungroup the P6 and then regroup. Turning on/off the P6 seems to help in the grouping and ungrouping. I have a paticularly complex system with multiple hard wired endpoints: Bluesound, Naim, and now P6. I am also on a mesh wifi network with all the other endpoints being hard wired into the router(s).

1 Like

Hmm. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one for our garden, but looking at the list of “local” dealers in the Netherlands, they mostly seem to be companies who are more interested in designing an outdoor swimming pool or lounge, rather than HiFi dealers. I have to say that rather sets off warning bells to me.

I note also that the Escape web site proudly proclaims:

We all love the internet. And online shopping has become a part of that. Buying a quality speaker requires more than just a WEB page. You should hear the product and feel it. That’s why you can only buy our Escape® Speakers from real people in real shops. Escape® speakers cannot be purchased over the Internet.

Er, what’s the Roon Store, then? :roll_eyes:

Hi Geoff,

good question!

There are some inconsistencies in the story about the P6 Air.

According to the product descriptions, the P6 can play HiRes up to 24/192 and DSD, which is definitely not the case. All incoming signals are converted to 24/48, DSD is converted to PCM by Roon beforehand. I have not received an answer to my repeated emails regarding this until today.

As far as I know, the Roon Store only serves North America. For a small European “manufacturer” it is relatively expensive to serve the market there. In this respect, I can understand the separate distribution channel for this market.

In any case, I bought my Escape P6 from an established Munich HiFi dealer who had added it to his portfolio shortly before, but the HiFi dealer density in Germany is currently still very thin. But there is at least one that also offers the P6 in its online store. Nevertheless, for me, a functioning online support of the manufacturer for end customers is mandatory, but this is unfortunately not available at Escape BV.

Despite everything, I can definitely recommend the P6 Air. Especially in stereo pairing with two P6 speakers, they are for me the best sounding really mobile outdoor speakers that I could hear so far, and Roon Ready as the icing on the cake that makes pairing two zones (left - right) possible at all.

I hope that helps you in the decision-making process.

Since it seems like the only three people to have ever heard this thing are in this thread, I hope you won’t mind answering a couple of questions.

The main one is: have you listened to it at all in fairly small rooms, standing not far from the speaker? I’m glad it sounds great outside, but my use for it would mainly be having music or podcasts playing while doing chores in the bedroom, bathroom, and sometimes small balcony of my 850 square foot condo. I just realised how big the P6 actually is and am thinking maybe I would be better served saving 2/3 of the price and getting a more size-appropriate Bluesound Flex.

I’d love to hear any thoughts! Thanks

1 Like

I love the sound of the BlueSound Pulse Flex 2i (I have 3), and with a battery pack it’s very portable. But I found the BlueSound virtually impossible to keep connected over wifi for extended periods when played in groups, which is how I always seem to do it. This was especially true when streaming radio through Roon. Wired playback is flawless, and wifi playback options without Roon seem to be fine as well.

The P6 isn’t without quirks, but it sounds terrific inside and out. The app has indoor and outdoor equalizer presets (each with wide and stereo options). It is large, but depending on where I put it, I find it much less bulky than you’d think. Since it doesn’t need desk or table space, it can even feel less obtrusive than the (tiny) Flex.

I agree with David_Roberts.

My experience with BlueSound so far is limited, but in terms of sound, the P6 Air are in a different league than the BlueSound speakers I know.
Ultimately, it depends on personal preference which solution makes more sense.

For podcasts, the Bluesound solutions are certainly completely sufficient and cheaper. The higher the personal demands on the sound quality of music playback, the more the P6 Air are superior in my opinion, whether outdoors or indoors.

In addition, I must say that I have so far almost never used the P6 Air as a single system but almost exclusively in stereo pairing with Roon.

Summer is almost over in my region and I now often use the P6 Air in my approx. 25 sqm sunroom with, of course, a lot of reflective glass surface. With the DSP settings in the Escape app and Roon, a very enjoyable sound experience is also possible here. Rather for optical reasons, I have exchanged my professional KS Digital C5-Reference near field monitors on studio stands for the P6 Air here and sonically the loss is ultimately rather marginal. Alternatively, I also have a quite good “Roon Ready” system with headphones there: Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2021-01] - #227 by Yoda

You can read an edited excerpt from my experience with the omission of some critical omissions regarding general resampling to 24/48 resolution and DSD playback here: Roon Community Reviews: The Escape P6 Air as a Garden System - Roon Labs

1 Like

P6 air is far superior th bluesound flex but it is more expensive. A little buggy on the roon connectivity but not a deal breaker. Not bad for wireless connection. Sound is stunning for an outdoor speaker. Indoors it sounds great also and i like it as much the more expensive Naim Muso

2 Likes