The Perfect Listening Room

Were you staying in the house during the construction?

I used 12 AWG Romex wire. There’s 1 dedicated circuit for the hardware, and another 2 circuits for the rest of the room and lights.

Wow! That’s a lot of wires run through the walls. I opted for a purely stereo setup, as the room is primarily for audio. I also wished to have as few connections as possible, so it’s straight from the amp to the speakers, no wall plates. I’d considered running some speaker wire to various walls while they were open and it’d have costed about $50 extra for a spool of wire, but ultimately I didn’t. I’d be interested to see what layout you have that there’s the need for 800 feet of audio wiring.

Is it HDMI 2.1? It’d be less than ideal (IMO) to run HDMI cables behind the wall, because the standard is always changing and they quickly become outdated. I think the ideal (perfect listening room) way to run digital cabling is to have a large conduit (EMT, ENT, PVC) so you can change out cables in the future. Something big enough to fit the HDMI connector through. Though I suspect 4K120 is of low concern to most people :thinking:

You can’t take your money with you to the grave! It went to a good cause.

2 Likes

Yes, we lived in the house through the ordeal, stuff moved and stacked with pathways to the kitchen, bathrooms, bedroom and of coarse the media room under construction. Kept enough usable space in the room for 2 recliners and the 65 flat screen TV, covered with sheets during the day. It all started with my wife wanting new floors and she suggested painting the 50 + year old wood paneling in the LR. I had the bright idea to take the paneling down and replace it with sheetrock and then paint. What I found behind the paneling scared me and the race was on. Demo and redo. And while we’re at it…

You’re on point there. I installed 3 runs of CANTEX 1-in Non-metallic ENT Conduit. One for speakers cable, one for multiple HDMI fiber cables, and one for Ethernet and cable. Had to bore 1 1/4 inch holes through the studs for the conduit so I doubled/sistered the studs for added support. And yes it supports HDMI 2.1 and beyond. Each thin 48gbps Ultravision fiber cable has 12 strands inside with snap fit connectors, ran 2 of those for redundancy and future proofing plus 1 48 gbps Fiber cable with fixed connectors. Think I recall that its enough capacity for 4 8k’s or 1 12k screen. The ENT for the speaker cables is stuffed but the other 2 have plenty of room to allow replacement or additional cable runs.

Quick snap of the media closet after the cable runs. All audio/video/network/Ethernet cables terminate in the 14 by 14 junction box or pass through to the wall plate positions below. Doesn’t look as messy after the wall plate connections were installed. An isolated 20 amp dedicated circuit feeds the plugs on the opposite wall on the right.

The media room has several circuits for lights and plugs. Had to route the 11 speaker and 4 sub cables very carefully through the walls and ceiling away from the power runs to avoid interference. That’s why I needed the length. Have a sub cable drop in all 4 corners with 6’ to 8’ of additional length to allow for placement. Have 2 subs currently, one front left and one rear right, and wasn’t sure where they would end up. Nice to have options.

Photos before the window treatments were added.

5 Likes

The room construction is complete, still need to mount all the sound dampening and make the bass traps.

9 Likes

Nice space and looks good. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, happy listening.

1 Like

13 Likes

Hey Max, that was fast from start to finish. So, hows the sound compared to what you had? I can only imagine.

2 Likes

Here’s the room after some upgrades:

Some observations I’ve had based off my experience with the room:

The perfect width for a 1-listener stereo setup is probably around 16’, the 12’ in this room is too narrow for speaker placement.

The ceiling height should be significantly taller ideally, 10-12’ would be ideal.

The depth (19’ in this case) seems to be of lesser importance, as long as it’s more than around 15-20’.

Given a from-scratch build, a trapagon shape (increasing width and height from front to back) would probably be ideal for addressing the room coloring the frequency response.

The hard walls (double 5/8" drywall) with mineral wool insulation behind make for an extremely well-isolated room, but definitely don’t help with footsteps above. This also allows for excellent acoustics, but is more echo-ey than a basketball court unless treated. In a perfect room, I think the walls, floor, and ceiling would all be concrete.

The room acoustics really need to be addressed specifically for the type of speakers you use, omnidirectional or dipolar. When done properly, there is no need for any digital correction of any kind. Ideally, you’d need a well-coordinated acoustical treatment system. All edges and corners would need traps, and primary and secondary reflection points would need absorption or diffusion. All parallel surfaces need to have some type of treatment. I had issues with high frequencies (15kHz+) that eventually was solved with putting up a line of curtains. The way you use absorption and diffusion, speaker placement, and speaker type affect the tonal balance, but with a perfect room you can tune it to your exact liking.

The ability to position the speakers and listening seat is incredible in this room, there’s at most a 1/8" deviation between L and R channel in any dimension, and the stereo image is ridiculous.

A perfect room would need to have some type of temperature regulation. My build has none (just opening the door), which makes it better sealed. The best solution would probably be a mini-split AC system just for the room, which is turned off when the room is in use.

The electrical setup in the room is already ideal IMO (I did this myself), as there are 3 front outlets on a dedicated 20A circuit, run with no sources of interference up to the panel. There are two additional 20A circuits for general use outlets. Given how much people spend on “audiophile” grade outlets and IEC power cables, it’s really important to get the electrical install right initially. For me, this has eliminated the need for any power conditioning, and there is NO audible hiss from my setup.

With a less limited budget, the “perfect” solution would be using an isolation transformer for the room, and a subpanel. It would be realistic to use 10AWG stranded wire to each circuit, and quality outlets (like a $3 Leviton Decora, not a $100 outlet). All stereo equipment should be either on the same circuit or at least the same phase, and nothing else on those circuits.

No comparison, it’s like night and day!