The sky is falling, the sky is falling

Article is 1 1/2 years old, so FWIW -

2019 (1st half) Revenues (Summary)

$4.3B from streaming
$0.552B from from digital/customized radio services (Sirius XM etc.)
$0.485B from all physical products *
$0.462B from digital downloads

• physical product revenues include
    $0.248B from CDs
    $0.224B from vinyl albums (4% of total revenues)
1 Like

I wish they would begin breaking out the pie chart for the 80% streaming.

Anecdotally, I have a couple dozen SACD and DVD-A that I’ve not listened to in nearly 2 decades. I just don’t care for much of the music not so much the medium. A few years ago I ripped them with an Oppo. I still don’t find myself playing them.

$25 USD for both Tidal and Qobuz top-tiers…I don’t see the reason for physical media save for nostalgia and rights to ownership.

The title of the article in the first post I believe is incorrect. This doesn’t so much describe the future of listening as it does the future of music industry revenue, attention and focus.

Few really listen - alas I’m quite sure I’m preaching to the choir. I’m 53 years old.

2 Likes

If you look at the data, this vinyl argument is silly. When you start with a small base, it is easy to get a larger % increase. Vinyl is not the future, and will always be a niche product – nothing wrong with this, but the argument is specious.

2 Likes

While vinyl sales are interesting the amount of old vinyl that is still being sold, traded and played is interesting. I’ve got vinyl from the 80’s I got new then and I have some from my dad well before that. I’m weird tho as I have 8 turntables of which 3 are operable and 4 are collected for restoration. :sunglasses:

Thats not weird, its a hobby/interest

I have about 100 SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V albums I ripped or had ripped. Another 1000 or so CDs I ripped. Still listen to them. Often, I listen to the streaming version of an album I already have in my collection. Sometimes Qobuz’ version sounds better than my old redbook cut. I don’t buy much music these days unless I really want it, and Qobuz doesn’t have it.

1 Like

Darko weighs in -

I suspect CDs and SACDs are being resold and traded on the used market at a rate as high or higher than vinyl.

1 Like