The ultimate Roon Remote (or: why I bought a Surface 3 – and l̶i̶k̶e̶d̶ sold it)

I too after trying Mac, iPad and all manner of mobile phones etc, ended up selling off all Apple products (Macbook Pro and iPad Pro) and bought a Microsoft Surface Book, which a) Replaced my Macbook Pro very nicely, and b) With the detachable screen replaced my iPad Pro (Surface has better screen res also!) and became the perfect remote for Roon. So yes, Windows Surface Pro or Surface Book are both excellent solutions for Roon.

Hm. Thank you for your insights @RBM and others, though it’s not making it easier for me to decide which tablet to buy to act as Roon Remote (and some browsing / reading usage) :slightly_smiling_face:.

All is Apple in our house (as tablet an iPad 2 which of no use for Roon of course, and till now used a cheap Android tablet as easy listening endpoint). Thought about a buying Surface, but

remembers me to my own annoyances about Windows.

Next weekend visit some shops to “feel” the difference in the iPad Pro and a Surface.

I received a surface 3 yesterday.

I have an issue when I’m in fullscreen without the keyboard plugged. If I use the search function (the magnifying glass icon), the virtual keyboard doesn’t pop-up and I have to plug back the keyboard to type what I’m looking for.
Do you encounter the same issue ?

You need to make sure the Surface is in Tablet mode - then the virtual keyboard will pop-up.

@RBM, just saw a Surface for sale by Rene Bouwmeester on Marktplaats? Not satisfied with the Surface or are there more Bouwmeester’s in the Netherlands?:grinning:

1 Like

Hehe… Full disclosure coming this weekend… :wink:

Ha, gotcha:rofl:. I can’t wait. I’ll stop bidding.

Bid all you want to. Machine’s fine, Windows – not so much.

I have coffee and cookies. :slight_smile:

I’m afraid - as a Mac / Apple user - I can’t get used to Windows too.

1 Like

I don’t find this option in windows 8.1 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I can’t remember how it was done in Windows 8.1 now, sorry. And Windows 8.1 has now reached end of mainstream support

Did you set ‘Enable On-Screen Keyboard’ in Roon?

1 Like

René, that shouldn’t be necessary (at least, it isn’t in Windows 10). The pop-up action is handled by the OS, not by the application.

I’ve learned a few too many things that shouldn’t be necessary over the last few weeks… :smiley:

Can’t remember if I set this option on the Surface or not – but popup keyboard worked fine in non-tablet mode without the keyboard attached. Can’t hurt to try, methinks.

It works perfectly now with the option activated in Roon.
Thank you :+1:

1 Like

Tell us! (Are you referring to a renewed experience with Windows? :wink:)

Pardon me for jumping in here, but I’m hoping someone here can help…

I currently have Roon Core setup on my NAS in the office. I have a Surface Pro 3 with the dock lying around unused (it needs a screen repair). I’m wondering if I could use this on my home theater rack to serve as a Roon endpoint and control interface. It would connect to a Denon AVR via HDMI. If it is possible, how would I go about getting started? Would I need to make the Surface my Roon Core instead? Advice?

Thanks!

Try it. Just install Roon on it and set it up as a Control device. At one time I had the HTPC attached to my Denon AVR, and it ran Roon as a Control device just fine.

Yeah, I think I’m going to dig it out and give it a try… after doing some additional poking around on the Roon KB, I wonder if Roon Bridge is maybe what I need. Sounds like it could be? “Roon Bridge is a software package that extends Roon’s audio playback capabilities…” Hmm?? :thinking:

After reading a little more here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Software_packages, it looks like Roon Remote for Windows 64 IS the right software package. It handles both control and output. That sound right to you? Is Roon Bridge the same thing as Roon Remote, except that Roon Remote adds the control option?

Thanks!