➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2022-03]

Thanks Ace for posting this. All too often some of us get hung up on expensive vinyl set ups while there are some lower cost options available that sound quite good. Thanks again for reminding us that the glories of vinyl can be experienced for not that much money.

4 Likes

Atoms For Peace - „Amok“

9 Likes

You know I could quite happily live with this for some time, it’s got a very solid presentation.
It’s definitely a bit forward and somewhat harsh and brittle on the top end on certain less than stellar recordings but overall it’s a winner even at it’s full mrsp.

Now when I switched back to my Basis/ Graham/ Soundsmith combo the details filled out, the forward effect was mitigated, instruments were better placed and easier to pick out but it’s hardly a fair fight…lol…

Overall I’m delighted with my CL purchase and will probably swap the cartridge out tomorrow for my AT Mono cart.

2 Likes

Beautiful Spring Sunday Morning Vinyl Session. Starting off with Bay of Rainbows

6 Likes

Short walk with the dogies and then finished off with this.

9 Likes

Washing day…

5 Likes

Followed by listening, of course.

4 Likes

Are there people that come to your house (well not yours as you have it covered) and clean your vinyl.

Asking for a friend :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Yes, it is a lot of work. I only do it once in a while and only for about 10 records, then it is enough for that session. If I know it correctly there really is a service where you can send your records to a company and they will do the cleaning…
But I like the process, it is a bit like meditation. Only the vacuuming of the cleaned record disturbs a bit… :wink:

2 Likes

Have my record’s leave the house :flushed::pleading_face:

No I think you misunderstood, they need to pack up the company and come to my house :rofl:

1 Like

Surely also a business model…
I don’t like to give my records out either. I lent a few LPs to an old friend during the pandemic and I still don’t have them back. I don’t do that any more either…

1 Like

I cleaned all mine with a posh machine in one go - well over a couple of months. Sold the machine for a similar price and just use a brush now. I would get a disco anti stat or similar if I need to clean them again as I figure the deep down cack is now out and I don’t put cigarettes out on them now or spill beer and curry on them.

1 Like

You, of course, clean new records before the first play and use a releasing agent for cleaning off the pressing residue?

Agree, very Zen. Also the reason I don’t have a dishwasher. :wink:

1 Like

Indeed a lot of pressing residues nowadays.
Just to say: I’m not a fanatic about it, sometimes I clean records when I feel like it, but I’m not dogmatic.

Sunday morning vinyl. Some interesting observations. I have also added the Roon share of this album so that one can read the beginning of the rather accurate review. This is definitely not a Gil Evans album. Note: the album was produced by the late Creed Taylor.

While deciding which Gil Evans vinyl to play, I noticed that my 1986 vinyl reissue of “Out of Cool” was “digitally remastered from the original stereo master tapes” so I’m now somewhat suspicious of the analog provenance of any vinyl issued/reissued after say 1985. Oh well one learns something new every day.

Since my first Gil Evans choice isn’t actually Gil Evans and my second choice isn’t 100% analog, I went for something that I know is 100% analog and rather rare as well:

6 Likes

As I was curious I decided to fit one of my carts that cost several times what the table did just to see.
It’s now wearing a $1500 Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 cart and oh boy….
All the brittle forward harshness has vanished and the detail retrieval is astonishing.

Not that I would recommend everyone to follow this upgrade path but it shows this budget table and arm can handle a decent cart and give the sonic benefits.
Very interesting indeed.

5 Likes

I might even eventually get round to fitting the mono cart that I purchased this table for…lol

That’s why I have a detachable headshell with a mono cartridge of the same weight and make as the stereo one. Just swap the headshell.

1 Like

That is the ideal situation I agree, which I had with my Garrard.
Still have 4 spare headshells with carts mounted from that all kept in a headshell keeper for safety.

Beggars can’t be choosers in this case.

1 Like

Always a good excuse to look for something new too….

2 Likes