➡️ The Vinyl Bar (Yes, we’re open) [2022-03]

Tel, I can kind of relate to this post of yours.

I left a marriage of 25 years, literally with only the clothes on my back and what was in my work bag for the day, of importance my mojo & poly and my headphones. I lost everything else I had collected and put together over a few decades. Everything.

The last four years I have slowly put a system back together. My next step, once I’m in a place of my own (caring for my elderly mother now in her place for now) I will be rebuilding my vinyl collection.

Will definitely be keeping a close eye on this thread and will be coming to you lads and lasses to help me decide on my first 10 purchases once ready.

5 Likes

That will narrow it down to about 1000 items….

2 Likes

Modern and same range for continuity.
Need shorter bolts though.

1 Like

I have a completely seperate AT cart in a headshell with mono stylus ready to go and aligned etc, so its relatively quick swap and reset of vtf and good to go.
But most of time I just cant be bothered to change it…lol

1 Like

Yes mines the same weight etc so it is also just a case of swapping the head shell on the sme. I tend to listen to a few albums at a time so it’s not a bad investment.

Happy to have finally obtained a vinyl copy, first edition, of “The Union”, the great Richard Bales cantata of music (and spoken poetry – Raymond Massey reading the Gettysburg address) from the US Civil War.

It will join my vinyl copy of “The Confederacy” on my shelves.

The pair was also issued on CD, and I have those, but the booklets in the vinyl edition are much better. Sonically, it’s an excellent mono recording.

4 Likes

Andy… really sorry to read this matey.

My vinyl awaits it’s return to use

3 Likes

Raz,

life is good mate, things can always be worse for sure. Besides it is nice to rebuild. Something to look forward to.

Access to cheap CDs and digital has been fantastic. Books and music are my real passion.

Vinyl being my favourite format I will build a small but exclusive library of must haves.

3 Likes

Ah so only about 5000 records then😇

2 Likes

Sharing this “artsy” pic of my TT.

9 Likes

And my dusty TT

4 Likes

Just needs dusting off

In my opinion not a lot beats a morning of playing a variety of 12in singles.

Exactly my newly acquired attitude. In my case, about 400-500 favorite LPs should do it.

My goal is to put streaming (with the exception of finding new stuff or stuff I don’t have on vinyl) and digital, with all it’s anal retentive technocrat minutia, in the rear view mirror.

2 Likes

I hadn’t done anything. It was just a toxic relationship with the lovely addition of occasional domestic violence coming my way just for good measure. Women, eh? Can’t live with 'em, can’t set fire to 'em. (before anyone gets upset, that was a joke!)

I tried to end it as amicably and gently as I could, but, well, you can’t predict the reaction of someone who is irrational.

I had some beautiful pressings too :sob:

Anyhoo… Changing back onto happier subjects: Somebody mentioned boxsets and I reckon my Queen Studio Collection is my favourite (Queen – Studio Collection (2015, 180 Gram, Box Set) - Discogs). Remastered by legend Bob Ludwig, half-speed lacquer cutting at Abbey Road by Miles Showell. The book that came with it is wonderful; a few pages on each album with anecdotes, facts and intimate studio session photographs too.

6 Likes

Looks like a Technics SL7, found a picture from the late 1980s with mine.

4 Likes

One of my tables…

13 Likes

Yes that’s it.

1 Like

I went on Discogs last weekend and had an 80s rampage. Bought this lot from a Japan seller. Happy days.

11 Likes