The wonders of Roon radio - a field of gold

Roon-Radio Fast Car from Tracy Chapman 6 Hour

As expected, artists come up for selection that are closer in the artist map.

The further reduction of repetitions in the album selection could be improved.

1 Like

People have been complaining about this for at least 5 years. You can find many threads with complaints about it.

It is a simple matter to write an algorithm that does not repeat selections. The program already keeps track of what has been played so how hard can it be to write a line of code that says

if SongX has been played in the last Y times skip it

Roon either refuses to fix it or their programmers are too incompetent to figure out how. There is no other logical explanation

I suggest you do as I have and drop your subscription

To my mind this is terrible, did nothing happen after this? Is there nothing new on the landscape or newer that you may be interested in?

Another example is pink Floyd surely the defacto for pro rock. I know for a fact this genera has continued into the modern age, but Roon does nothing about it, I get Emerson lake and bloody palmer, followed by genesis followed by jethro Tull, crap. And always in that order. I am learning nothing new ever. I can genuinely say I have never discovered music from Roon radio, it’s like it’s own echo chamber.

1 Like

If you did this a long time ago, something is not right.

Valence is not yet 5 years old. AI needs development and is supposed to do its job from release 1.8. It has been communicated that there is a learning curve. If the baby develops splendidly, we will all have our joy with it. Writing a radio without repetitions is actually easier, but everything is now to be fitted into the song/artist proximity. Here’s the step forward that offers more than radio, but still shows album repeats.

2 Likes

I can confirm this aspect. If you want to learn new things close to artists or songs, you need EchoNest and the Songradio from Spotify. But even that is fast with TuneMyMusic or Soundiiz in every Roonplaylist, if you want it that way.

And other services and apps play newer stuff after Pink Floyd or the Beatles, or the Stones if they do some points of reference as to what they link to would be useful. But I feel they all follow a similar pattern from a starting point like Floyd.

I have discovered lots of new music via Radio myself but it starts from a more modern reference point to begin with. It has taken more of nose dive recently and I was stuck with it playing same tracks in same order at the end of some albums. It’s improved since they tweaked it but still has too many albums and artists repeated.

1 Like

There is something deeply broken with roon but the elements seem to be there. If outside roon you do a search on “modern prog-rock” or “contemporary prog-rock” you will start stumbling on bands like “Thank You Scientist” and “Haken”. If you then come back into roon and do a search on “Thank You Scientist” then roon will start taking you to other bands with prog-rock influences like “Deer Hunter”. But however roon works under the covers it just doesn’t seem to be able to make that bridge itself from 1970’s prog-rock to more contemporary bands with those influences.

Another example is I have a weakness for 80’s era synth-pop, but who are the contemporary bands who have those influences? Again, I had to come out of roon and search on the internet and then go back into roon looking for “Cool Wave” music. Once I do that roon is capable of drawing links to contemporary bands and music and radio streams with 80’s synth influences that I find interesting. There is just something about the way that roon works that it doesn’t seem to be able to make these leaps on its own.

3 Likes

In general, I am reasonably happy with Roon Radio but don‘t use it regularly. However, when listening to Pop/ Rock in German language Roon Radio leads me straight into hell of German „Schlager“. It seems the only connection for Roon Radio is the language, while I would prefer music of the same genre including other languages.
This leads me to believe that either the algorithm is not very sophisticated or depends heavily on the definition of genres. I don‘t consider a particular language to be a genre but an attribute to it. But Roon Radio seems to assume that e.g. German music is a genre.

3 Likes

I found a lot of new artists and albums I liked thanks to Roon Radio so a lot of times I use this functionality and love it.

1 Like

This is due to the strong derivation from the artist map. If, as with https://everynoise.com/everynoise1d.cgi?scope=all, there was also a fine division in genre / style, there would be more in it.

The time jumps are another field that is only mastered if several decades really form the starting points. You can hardly start well with just one song.

Ist das ein guter Einstiegspunkt für aktuelle Musik weltweit?

https://everynoise.com/2021_around_the_world.cgi

For me, it’s more repetition of the favorites.

Assumption:

I have transferred around 60,000 favorites from Spotify to Tidal and Roon now also uses this knowledge via its AI.

I am not sure how this list relates to the point I made.
In my example, the Roon Radio algorithm seems to be simplistic and is not coming up with any good suggestions (at least dor my taste).

I don’t even know what Valence is but Roon Radio has been around for at least that long and has never worked properly for many people. When I joined several years ago it worked great and I was exposed to a lot of great music. Then, after some update it started into this cycle of repeating the same songs over and over and over. It has been broken ever since. I and many others have been complaining for quite a while.

I gave up and dropped my subscription.

1 Like

I don’t use Roon for the Radio feature (other than streaming actual local radio through Roon). Same with Spotify. Always found endless computer generated playlists kind of numbing. I wish streaming services could offer music podcasts that play whole songs, shows in other words. That to me would be closer to real radio, with the human touch. Seems like we aren’t there yet with licensing, maybe. Anyway, an off topic ramble.

For me, traditional radio with editing was always interesting, too, until I got MusicMatch, Napster, Rhapsody, Zune… discovered. That’s when I realized how little music I knew and how chart-heavy it was. nary a station comes up with more than a few hundred tracks that are constantly in rotation. Human touch is not something that can be recreated by an algorithm.

Spotify is now trying playlists and offering where podcast is mixed with music. But I don’t like that either. The traditional offer on radio and television has become uninteresting for me.

With Zoë Straub – Wikipedia another Roon Radio is now at the start.

The thesis was to test whether not so well-known names also deliver more surprises.

For some it may seem so, who Eurovision has watched the annual competitions on TV, recognize many names.

Other connecting lines or usable information Roon probably could not find and then just went to the album game.

I think the punk and rock scene in the UK and USA can breathe a sigh of relief, what Roon Radio has to offer here in the first hour commands my respect. Therefore, everything great illustrated and without annoying repetition. Unfortunately, thereafter repetition of already presented albums in the program.

Punk, the first time around is still the music of the roon demographic’s youth. So out of curiosity I tried seeding with something from the “Punk Revival” of today’s youth. My instincts are that listeners of this type of music are not typical roon users but I could well be wrong. I choose the track “Material” by “flasher”. Alas, “band” repetitions set in at 14/15 tracks although I am not at least getting track repetitions yet.

Meanwhile, I think there is hardly a chance to get 20 songs without repeats on Roon radio.

1 Like