There’s no need for ANY type of compression FLAC or otherwise

Some pretty bold claims there. I’d like to see the evidence behind them.

I haven’t seen or heard anything to suggest FLAC has been superseded by a different, more efficient codec.

I don’t know why you’d dedicate paragraphs over getting upset about FLAC. It is space efficient, lossless, CPU efficient and tags well. Sounds like a perfect template for an audio codec, in fact.

9 Likes

A standard that not everyone adhere to is not a standard

Put 10 classical enthusiasts in one room you’ll get 12 standards

How can we expect a standard ISO EBC ?

I know what I Want i really don’t want to spend hours applying it

Life is too short, I’m 68, I’d rather listen than argue standards

I’m ranting on form today :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This is nonsense! Roon supports FLAC because the consumer uses it. Moreover, i’d go as far as saying that FLAC is now the defacto standard (container) for lossless audio.

Roon doesn’t use FLAC it converts it to PCM.

Your second paragraph is irrelevant.

4 Likes

You are in the groove today Mike.

Tell me you want, what you really really want … :rofl:

68 year old Spice Boy.

2 Likes

And most importantly (in my opinion), FLAC files contain built-in CRCs so one can run a batch job to insure that all the embedded CRCs (from when ripped/created) match the decoded CRCs. WAV files do not have this ability (nor do Apple Lossless). This is a key feature for me. And if one really wants uncompressed for some odd reason, dbpa offers a FLAC uncompressed option (not compression =0, but actually uncompressed).

4 Likes

Even Tidal uses FLAC

I believe this is what is used: ‘flac --disable-constant-subframes --disable-fixed-subframes --max-lpc-order=0’

1 Like

Perhaps I should dredge up my old IT Specification writing skills and write a spec for the Classical Interface in Roon

Maybe I should get a G&T and sit in the sun listening , i am told it keeps the malaria at bay :rofl:

I have decided

5 Likes

Ugh, and double ugh. Did that with my set. All(?) compositions canonically named, WORKed and PARTed, nice and tidy. Seemed to take forever.

Actually, that’s a lot what I do when listening to Roon: sit and tag/retag/fix my library. Oddly serene at times.

I decided that lots were very old, most modern stuff I already had somewhere, Brende, Argerich etc

I archived it for a rainy day when I’m bored

My New Year resolution is less screen time…

I have already had one neck fusion from over computering , I am staving off the fast approaching second :mask:

Not specifically related to the OP question, but relevant based on the ensuing rabbit hole. I don’t really mind what tagging solution Roon, Flac or anything else uses. I have implemented a process that use MusicBrainz to scan and create/update downloaded music before it is released to my library. MusicBrainz uses an AcousticID instead of existing tags to identify tracks and so far, it has never been wrong after about 1000 tracks. Roon is a streamer/player, not a tagged, it should focus on being the best streamer possible. FLAC is just a container that already supports a horde of tags, has a huge installed base, and is nearly universally supported making the value proposition to change containers rather low. The proper solution would be to not change container types, but update the container itself to not use compression at the users request. Players don’t care how compressed or not a FLAC file is, just that it is a FLAC file which its DLLs and APIs can read and understand. Simple change with no massive update of the ecosystem to support a new format.