Thickness of Speaker Cable

I’ll just comment on this to give a better understanding of the context to this “rule”.

It does apply more to connecting two speakers to one amp output, since paralleling two 8 Ohm loads results in a 4 Ohm load to the amp.
(I’m not going to consider impedance characteristics of speakers for simplicity here.)

Bi wiring, on the other hand, removes the physical connection between bass/mid-high drivers in the speaker crossover and moves that to the amp side, effectively splitting the current between two pairs of interconnects, while still presenting that 8 Ohm speaker load to the amp.

To get back to the OP topic, there are of course well understood technical reasons that make for more transparent signal transfer from amp to speaker, depending on conductor length, cross section and cable geometry.
Important here are resistance (pretty inconsequential difference between copper and silver, the latter being a hair better) and inductance of the cable construction used.
Capacitance is usually negligible due to the relatively low impedance involved.
Skin effect is negligible as well in the relatively low audio frequency band.

So no need to get all esoteric about it, it’s all very well measured and understood scientifically, but hey, that’ll likely get the subjective wing all ruffled up in a second…

1 Like

Check out

and

1 Like

Hello
I really like the term “subjective wing” Well, I have been professionally involved in Broadcast technology for 30 years. And the subjectivity probably comes from the fact that I have not yet read all the books on the subject. On the other hand, in my statements I do not use Wikipedia, nor do I use custom studies, ( for a small fee ) So I would like to ask that if you have already written what can be omitted and what is important develop the thread a little and write me about the fluctuation of current in the amplifier, cable, speaker connector depending on the frequency… here you go…

and best regards

Maxxim

In the two links above, there are Bode plots showing the cable response to variations in frequency. Is that what you’re looking for?

Hello
That’s not quite the point Bill , the point is the downward changes in the voltage in the cable at, for example, strong bass and thus not driving the midrange and tweeters.

and regards

Maxxim

Pardon my cluelessness here, please. Wouldn’t such a voltage drop be due to an underpowered amp?

Hello
This is the basic direction, and you can think so. Of course, it can happen. Further question, what happens when I use BI wire BI amp connection in such a circuit ?

and greetings

Maxxim

Get a mate over and do a blind test.

HI
Perception is a very important thing. It consists of auditory conduction ( in the air) bone conduction and the whole issue of reception of sounds by our brain (Central auditory processing ) To be sure, you can take a hearing test for yourself… For example, extended tonal audiometry. You know exactly what you hear and you can compare it with what you think you hear. In addition, the laws of physics are inescapable… and should also be taken into account.

Maxxim

An interesting article, well worth a read. Dated 1980, but from one of the masters.

1 Like

I have Audioquest cables, 14 gauge. They have arrows on them indicating the “flow” of the signal. Any thoughts?

Try them the other way around to hear the subliminal message in your music…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Like “Revolution #9” from the White Album!" I was afraid the cables might explode :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can genius revel in ignorance? :slight_smile:

Maxxim

Metal purity can be measured by x-Ray fluorescence spectroscopy and other methods. I would expect that cable manufacturers rely on the metal and wire suppliers for measurements.

1 Like

Hi.
And you are 100% right. Just show me a manufacturer that will show you a result regarding, for example, the copper from which the conductor is made. You have info that it is OFC 5N on the subject of dopants in copper not a word.

Maxxim

I haven’t tried audioquest speaker cables but I do have their directional RCA, sub and HDMI cables. I tried them both ways with no noticeable difference to me. Thinking its supposed to make a difference over longer runs but who knows.

I recently finished a remodel of my living room entertainment space and used up a 500 foot box of 12 gauge in-wall speaker cable in the ruffly 18 by 24 space for a 7.2.4 speaker arrangement. Nothing special, just what the local Audio Video store had in stock for their system installs, but it was still expensive. My only concern was the thicker gauge cable should be better for longer runs over the 14 gauge wire it replaced. Since I had 12 gauge cables in the walls from media closet wall jacks to speaker location wall jacks I continued that trend with 12 gauge jumpers from receiver to wall jacks and from wall jacks to speakers.

12 gauge has about 5/8 the resistance of 14 gauge, according to my trusty CRC handbook.

Because the ratio of cross areas is also 5/8 :wink:

1 Like