Thinking about a CDP - but is it worth it these days?

I’m not contesting the fact that different sources may be preferable to different listeners. Each to their own :grinning:

But what I am contesting is that a ‘Red Book’ CD feed from a good CDP can sound better than a 16/44.1 stream to a good streamer/DAC. It can’t. Assuming that the CD has been ripped accurately, the ‘limiting factor’ here is the quality of the DAC and the associated electronics that are ‘downstream’ from the CD transport.

There are many reasons why, differences in DAC’s aside, a streamer will technically outperform a CDP.

As per the title of this thread, ‘Is a CDP worth it these days?’ No, not at all! Not for RB/CD anyway.

2 Likes

… perfectly fine with that, as I am in no position to argue about the technical advantages of each source (I understand things on a basic level but am far from being trained in that field). So for me it just comes down to personal preference. People also argue that CD is/was way superior to vinyl - thus making streaming even more superior - still, I prefer my vinyl almost every time I compare it to my digital sources :wink:

Each to their own I guess :slight_smile: -)

1 Like

Ironically, so do I :sunglasses:

1 Like

And me! +10

2 Likes

… well - can`t argue about good taste :wink: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s just what I thought. I will be very happy if I can get my CDP-X7ESD, as a transport, on par with my streaming setup, sq wise. In my opinion, if CDT sounds better than streaming, there must be something wrong with the streaming setup or source material. For now I use my X7 rather seldom because it sounds worse than streaming with Roon icw Tidal. I still am very curious on how my modified X7 transport will sound in comparison to the Roon-Tidal streaming setup.

1 Like

It will be very interesting to see/hear how your mods work out. Keep us posted! :grinning:

I too only use my CDP occasionally, to listen to my SACD’s:

2 Likes

What are you talking about? Name me ONE transport mechanism that is on par with KSS190A/BU1?
Nowadays you only can buy new CDTs/CDPs with computer mechanisms, which are mostly sounding rather crappy. Even the very expensive ones do not incorporate a good mechanism like in the old days.

And yes, the mechanical quality of the mechanism DOES influence the final SQ.

I have a few SACD/DVDA players at home, they all sound crappy (digitally connected).
Even an old Proceed, which I sold a year ago, with Philips mechanism, sounded crappy (digitally connected).

You are welcome to visit my home, take your CDT with you, and compare with my Roon setup.

Yes I will :slight_smile:

1 Like

I rip my SACDs to DSF files….so I can play native DSD to my DAC. I have yet to hear a SACD transport that sounds as good as my streaming setup.

2 Likes

Yup. You won’t find one! :grinning:

I agree, but many others that I have read disagree. And I can’t prove that streaming is better or not. So, even though the logical sides of me concludes than they are both then same SQ, I will keep an open mind about it. Music reproduction and its SQ sometimes defies logic.

And yet, if he prefers the sound he gets from the Esoteric (even if it’s only the placebo effect), and to him it’s worth the money, how can I argue that he didn’t make a wise choice?

1 Like

Expectation Bias?? :wink:

Expectation bias, placebo effect, real, hallucinogenics…it doesn’t matter. If someone perceives an improvement and thinks it’s money well spent, that is all that matters.

6 Likes

Absolutely true - cheers. Also I found differences to be a lot (by far!) smaller than I had expected.

1 Like

I gotta say, that my analogue front-end completely obliterates all my digital front-ends. Without a doubt!

Linn LP12/Cirkus/Keel/Radikal/Ekos/Adikt/Uphorik/Linn Klimax Kontrol etc…

5 Likes

Same :v::blush:

2 Likes

Ditto!

2 Likes

You can’t beat a bit of the black stuff!

1 Like