Thinking of adding music storage to my Nucleus

FWIW… I’ve been at this for quite a while and I’m picky about the metadata, paranoid about losing work and I hate manual file copying. I also never want to be without music in my house. This is my setup and process…

I have the master copy of all my music on local storage attached to a MacPro. Any metadata editing is done on the MacPro using Yate. With Yate, I make sure there is album art, an artist photo, lyrics, the metadata is complete, and for classical I make sure it’s organized properly in work, section, part (and I have Yate setup to write the correct roon tags).

I use ChronoSync on the MacPro to do a daily music sync of the master copy of my Music on the MacPro to my Nucleus+'s SSD and to my Synology NAS (actually, I sync all my media files – music, video, photos to the Synology).

I have the Nucleus+ setup to do daily backups to the Synology NAS.

I use CloudSync on my Synology to sync a complete copy of my music files (again, actually all my media files) and my roon backups to Backblaze so I have an off site copy of both.

In order to have immediate access to newly purchased music on my Nucleus+ (so I don’t have to wait for the daily sync), I have my Nucleus+ setup to watch a purchased music folder on my MacPro where all newly purchased music (whether from Apple, HDTracks, Qobuz, etc) is initially loaded so I get near instant access to it when purchased.

Then, when I fully integrate the new music into my local master collection on the MacPro (after any necessary metadata editing), I remove the files from the purchased music folder and Chronosync then syncs the final new music to the Nucleus+ SSD and to Synology.

Finally, I have a 2nd Roon license with a Roon core running on my MacPro working off the local master copy of my music files so if my Nucleus+ has problem or dies I can switch over seamlessly to it from the Nucleus+ (and this did happen once).

So with this setup process, I get nicely edited metadata for new music. I have redundant local copies of my music. I have the music on my Nucleus+'s SSD for optimal access. I have off site backups. And it’s all automated except for any manual metadata editing. And I’m never without music…

3 Likes