Thoughts on development plans for Roon under Harman International

What would the difference be? I used Android phones before and an iPhone now, and the app seems to be exactly the same.

The only difference I am aware of on mobiles is related to screen size, i.e. tablet vs phone, and my old Android 10“ tablet is again the same as my new iPad.

I think some smaller Android tablets like 7“ or 8“ may be showing the phone UI, though.

I am sure the new owners will have a development roadmap of their own.

I doubt current user’s feature requests will even be considered unless they contribute to the “Master Plan”

Why would stability of iOS apps even matter when all Samsung mobile devices support Android , Apple v Google who would care

My Android Samsung TAB A 10" tablet behaves like a phone.

Leave things as they are.
If it ain’t broke and all that.
Unfortunately thats not going to happen.
I have roon for sound quality. Yes the software is excellent.
But its pointless having excellent software if the sound isn’t good.
Unfortunately the people they want to attract to roon don’t care about SQ. They primarily want convenience.
They will want roon on the move without having their pc turned on all the time. Etc etc.
We live in the age of convenience and quantity over quality.
Why else would they have rubbish like Netflix on expensive panels?
I’ve got around 11 months subs left with roon. If things go down the pulp route then I’ll just use the lumin software and save money.
I won’t pay for lower SQ.
The steps Samsung will take to attract people and increase profits can only result in lower quality over the long term.
Quality cuts profits.

2 Likes

Yes but this is nevertheless not an Android vs iOS issue as such. I think we talked about this before and you may remember that my Samsung Tab A 10.1 behaves like a tablet. IIRC the difference we found was that mine was wifi only and yours has a SIM slot. So that may well be a bug (I don’t think Roon ever clarified….) but it’s not because Android functionality is limited vs iOS as such.

1 Like

So, just like before!

4 Likes

Agreed, I can see moving to native iOS apps as a new development.
But Roon should up the ante and urgently step in to fix the mess in 2.0.25, the suport forum is flooded. I am surprised that there has not been any emergency patches of this high dollar paid service/software, it will soon be a month from releasing the update.

1 Like

I had the same issue. Try changing font size and screen zoom in display settings. Make them lower. Had to play around with combinations that worked for roon and left everything else readable.

I discussed my experiences with staged roll-outs a bit with Roon when they announced the future staging, and in part it’s a bit like I expected. Staged rollouts are overall good and can surely help head off critical frequent issues. However, there are also problems with timing and infrequent problems (which I still guess this one is, in the grand scheme):

• When the rollout starts slowly and the issue infrequent / affects only certain system, you likely won’t see it on the first days. Or just a scattered report of “it’s slow” that you can’t really distinguish from noise that always happens.
  • Depending on your ramp-up and duration, it’s difficult to avoid inconvenient times. If you start slowly on Friday, you could be missing catastrophic reports on the first weekend. If you want to avoid this and start Monday with a 5-day ramp-up, you get the majority of installs on Friday and have the same problem.
  • If you stage over longer, say 14 days or longer, you draw it all out without really solving the fundamental limitation. Plus the forum is full of “why do I not have the update yet, is everything OK with my machine?”

In the current case, I don’t think there was much to see on the forum on the first days, it looked fine to me. Reports started to roll in noticeably when the update was about to hit everyone or already had. Plus quite many late-comers who simply don’t use Roon all the time. And by then, instead of running into a weekend, it was much worse and Thanksgiving was there.

1 Like

Would really love to see Dirac Live integration. Harman’s Arcam and Lexicon brands have products with Dirac.

5 Likes

Thanks for the insight, it looks like a good plan.
But, I am not sure how, my clients (Roon Remotes) got updated immediately on the first day. I have my Apple devices to auto update apps. I am in Bulgaria, bulgarian Apple store.
So the issue started manifesting right then. I noticed the updated Remotes, and that is when I found in the forums there is a new version rolled out in stages.
But my Roon Server did not prompt for update…
So, to hopefully resolve the issue, I downloaded the new version, and updated the server. It did not solve the issue.
Since then, I re-installed the macOS completely, and hence the Roon Server.

1 Like

The staging only applies to updates that are controlled by Roon, i.e. PC. App Store updates are at the mercy of Apple and Google.

Therefore, the mobile remotes probably have to update first. Because else you have old remotes running with new servers, and that can surely be a problem if the server has large changes that could be incompatible in some cases.

By updating remotes first, you can at least try to make sure that the new remote works with older servers.

But a version mismatch doesn’t seem to be the cause in your case, anyway

That would be amazing. I’m not tech-savvy enough to make the most of Roon’s DSP functionality, and I’m sure I’m not alone. An automated room calibration capability would be a selling point.

2 Likes

Whatever that means. If it runs on iOS, it’s native, isn’t it?

That would be nice!! I left Roon primarily because it didn’t support Atmos. I came back a few months ago to give ARC a try. I thought it would be nice to have access to my physical library in the car. But, sadly, Android Auto only shows a portion of my collection. So, I’ll probably be dropping again. I await Atmos support and better Android Auto integration.

I think he means not to run on a cross-platform toolkit the way it does. It would certainly be nice if scrolling wasn’t choppy on a freakin’ iPhone 15 Pro Max (whatever the reason is for that)

2 Likes

I noticed issues with my remotes pretty quickly, slowness a little later.

1 Like

It’s choppy on my 13 and this has got progressively worse not better with each build. If seems to happen when the apps been in background for a bit and other apps used, a restart of app fixes it until next time.

Agree, it seems to get worse after a while but it’s never buttery

1 Like

No it’s never buttery smooth. I feel it’s running out of memory, of all the apps I have it’s the most hungry for resources which is why it’s pretty much killed when in the background for long enough. I have had it retur to black screen so many times. What I do find is the app is not very good at managing access point handoffs compared to other apps. If I move from upstairs to down or vice versa it will freak it out and I have to close it and restart. No other app has this issue at all. It’s fine on my laptops Mac or windows.