Three 24/192 Recordings that Really Suck

This is also my policy. My partner justifiably complains as I’d pitched streaming as the end to my music buying habit. Paying extra to subsidise downloads wasn’t part of the pitch…

4 Likes

Whilst not hires, I was listening the remaster of Definitely Maybe earlier god its awful. I tried my original cd rip and its so much better. The remaster is a horrible tinny mess.

This is why I use Qobuz to explore new (to me) music but buy an older CD or SACD later after I have researched what the best mastering is (usually on stevehoffman.tv).

I bought hi res downloads of Definitely Maybe and Be Here Now- both bricks (how disappointing). I have a Stand By Me cd single made in England with relatively amazing dynamic range. May I ask which Definitely Maybe cd version you have? I’m not sure if there are differences between U.S., U.K., and Japanese versions. I don’t have my U.S. copy anymore and am looking to find a good version (of all their first three albums actually).

It’s the original Creation release from the 90’s in the UK CRECD169 is the catalogue number I think.

1 Like

First, HDTracks has zip to do with the SQ of anything they sell. They are just a reseller. The labels and distributors supply the tracks to them and they resell what they are supplied. Same for all the DL sites, unless they produce some of what they sell (like Acoustic Sounds). Those 3 albums at other vendors will be the same file. The same release at Qobuz will also be the same file.

BTW, I have multiple versions of the Stones albums - including DSD and vinyl - and I think the 24/192 sounds fine. Slightly different, but fine.
What do you think “really sucks” about them?

But hi-res is no guarantee of a good remix or remaster. I agree you should be wary and not automatically assume a hi-res version will be superior.