Tidal buffering

I’m not sure what is going on in your situation, or exactly where the bottleneck is, but I don’t think more buffering will help.

Let me explain more about what we do currently–it’s a lot more aggressive than what you’re proposing.

As soon as you begin playback of a TIDAL track, Roon begins caching the entirety of that track + the entirety of the next track into an encrypted on-disk cache. This buffering happens as quickly as TIDAL’s servers + your internet connection allows. Playback preferentially consumes data from this cache. If we’re not able to fill the caches quickly enough to keep up with playback, it’s possible that Roon has to go back to TIDAL directly on demand.

There is an additional 10s memory buffer of decoded content for each track that sits between the on-disk cache and the playback engine in Roon’s core. Further downstream, RAAT endpoint software has an additional ~3-5s of memory buffer at the endpoint to smooth out variances on your local network.

Given this new information–does that give you any other ideas of what the problem might be?

1 Like