Tidal ends service in my country

I live in Turkey and yesterday I got a message from Tidal, saying “On 14/10/2021 TIDAL will stop providing its services in Turkey. On that date, users residing in Turkey will no longer be able to access TIDAL.” What happened? Is it something to do with Square acquiring them?

No idea and sorry to hear this. Get yourself a VPN and re-subscribe in another country. Romania for example has a cheaper subscription at about 7 euro for the top tier I believe.

3 Likes

Oh man, if that happens here I will feel orphaned. Sorry to hear.

1 Like

Ominous !!, I wonder if its a User Count and the value of keeping a service alive

Not wishing to be pessimistic but there must be many countries with low user counts eg South Africa

Apparently Tidal was already blocked in Turkey last year, see this article Turkey blocks music streaming service Tidal | Ahval.

Something to do with a license fee that content providers had to pay … it seems Tidal did pay this fee a few days later. (reddit) I can only guess Tidal refuses to continue to pay for next year, maybe the fee went up, or they simply disagree with how the Turkish governement is trying to control internet traffic. These are just guesses. I’m sure you can find more info by googling. Using a VPN will probably help.

3 Likes

Yes, probably so. The government is trying to tax and license everything with increasing pressure. Economy is not good. We have a local saying for this, which roughly translates to “squeeze oil from flies” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I believe it is an issue of profitability. If the cost of service is higher than income, then…

Streaming services are cheap in Turkey. Right now, Tidal HIFI is TRY 19.9, which translates to USD 2.2 per month. This does not get lots of revenue if you have few users. Add to this the pressure of introducing licensing fees from government, it is not profitable IMHO.

1 Like

Cheaper? I now pay TRY 19.9 per month of Tidal HIFI. That is less than 2 euros when converted :slight_smile:
But the issue is not money. One year ago, I got Roon and I already had Tidal. They worked together fine. Now that Tidal is off, I am wondering how much I’ll need a streaming service with Roon. I have a big local library. For my streaming needs, I have signed up for Apple Music for now (which will cost less, TRY 13.9/mo (1.4 euros!) after free offer ends). Apple was not available when I had to get Tidal. Now it is a different game. We’ll see…

Cheaper compared to your other options available once you won’t be able to use your Turkish account :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel for you. Is Qobuz an option in Turkey?

1 Like

Thanks. Unfortunately not. The only lossless option now is Apple, but I’ll lose Roon integration. I may use a vpn or dns service to get Tidal, but I never really liked it before Roon, since it kept pushing me rap and hip-hop. I never listen to these genres. So, if I have to move into grey, I’d rather get Qobuz.

2 Likes

Roon could support more streaming services, I only have access to tidal, qobuz is not available in my country, I also have all my álbuns locally, but a greater selection of streaming services for sure is interesting.

When I open my Bluesound app for upgrading the firmware there is a lot of options to choose for. Sadly roon is very limited in this regard but is excellent in what it offers.

You only need a vpn to get signed up to Qobuz…after that the content can access from anywhere, at least that’s what I do

1 Like

Interesting facts about pricing. Which countries are cheapest in terms of Tidal subscription?

From what I have read elsewhere, this has something to with the Turkish government’s demand that Tidal set up an office in Turkey and submit to harsher taxation and governance.
No doubt this would make it difficult for Tidal to be profitable in Turkey. However, I suspect it just doesn’t want to deal with an oppressive government or try to navigate one of the world’s highest inflation rates.
As for cheap Tidal countries, there are many. I pay the equivalent of US$6 a month for Tidal HiFi in Brasil.

2 Likes

Same in Colombia.

Nicely stated. Add to this the weak local currency. My last bill for Tidal was TRY 19.9. Exchange rate is USD1= TRY9. So monthly fee is about 2 dollars. I believe this is because Spotify was too nice to price its service TRY 19’ish when in other countries it was USD 19’ish. Everbody had to follow suit.

1 Like

I think you’ll find most the the feeds mentioned here do not accept VPN’s/proxies. You can try but I doubt you’ll succeed. If you do please tell us the VPN - I use ExpressVPN

Of course I will. I use Windscribe for other VPN needs and ControlD for DNS needs but I haven’t tried them for music yet.
I first have to overcome the psychological impact of the price increase that will occur, due to exchange rate. For comparison, it’s as if you were paying Tidal 20 “credits” before, but have to pay 120 “credits” now :smiley:

I had a old guy over on ifi call me out for everthing,I was nothing but a thief for using a vpn to get tidal cheaper🤣

1 Like