Tidal ‘HiFi’ is NOT lossless

In my opinion you just have.

2 Likes

Well, that’s fine either. My opinion, my statement. Your opinion, your statement.

Sure, and that’s great. We all have our opinions and preferences. It’s when we make flat statements as if they’re facts that we need to back that up with something other than anecdote.

4 Likes

Yes, S-N sampling theory says that in a band limited system it is lossless for the band you define, i.e. it can fully and losslessly recreate the signal. I’m surprised someone working in the digital audio industry would ask such a question, rhetorical or otherwise.

It’s also something of a straw man in relation to what’s being discussed here.

I don’t give a rats a$$ if MQA is lossless, using analog masters, digital masters, etc… I also don’t care to hear MQA naysayers claim MQA is inferior, would you expect anything else from them?
This post is like reading a cable naysayer post: MQA naysayers have to throw whatever they can to try to support their propaganda.
I listen with my ears, charts/propaganda isn’t going to sway me 1 bit.
IMO, if you can’t hear a difference between a good MQA cut and a good cd cut, then you either need to upgrade your equipment or learn to listen better.

3 Likes

In reference to noise floor… I’m reminded of the following quote:
"audio precision handjob b******t is just flea farts while jet engines are going by" - Mike Moffat 7/15/2021
(censored by me to comply with forum rules)

Lossless is simply delivering you a bitstream unaltered to the stream you requested. At a minimum for music, the stream requested is 16/44.1 because that’s what is fed into the DAC. MP3 is lossy because the stream doesn’t have a bit depth or resolution to match what gets fed into the DAC; software fills in the missing bits. FLAC is lossless because the bits do match. But, not all PCM is equal. If it’s been “MQA processed” the PCM will be different than the CD RIP. That doesn’t make it lossy it makes it different. You don’t call the remastered version of a CD lossy do you? Both CDs are 16/44.1 but the bits won’t match because one has been “remastered”.

Anyway… start calling it “the MQA version” and things start to better align against standard terminology. It’s just, Tidal will never tell you what version they are streaming. And, yes, I believe the Hifi tier on Tidal is feeding the MQA version without a way to unfold it. So… are those MQA bits being DA converted to noise? Yes. Can you hear that noise against the noise floor? Reference my quote above.

3 Likes

Good answer, I concur. On the upsampling you may consider that the filtering takes place way above the audible frequency range (about 20 kHz), this is why upsampling is done at the first place. What you throw away outside the hearing band nobody cares that this is „lost“.

Has anyone else noticed that quboz is now converting to mqa,not alot but still

Only 2L material as they have never given Qobuz anything else. Been like that for years

4 Likes

One has only to listen to this album on a digital end-to-end audio system with full MQA unfolding to appreciate the virtue of Tidal [as well as of Qobuz] Magnificat by Trondheimsolistene on TIDAL

1 Like

Yes, was referring the magnificence of the recording. [I have the 2L FLAC /352 K Magnificat download for comparison purposes ]

Can you give us an example of this?

The whole album…

2 Likes

Which is a 2L recording. As mentioned, their whole catalog was only given to ALL streaming services in MQA. I purchased the music directly from 2L prior to MQA. The Magnificant in the original DXD and Quiet Winters Night in DSD.

1 Like

Interesting. Roon doesn’t identify it as such

In other words, one can listen to Magnificat on Qobuz in MQA 352K

I would skip Tidal and consider Qobuz or Spotify (if they go lossless).

1 Like

Hello,
Why doesn’t ROON also support AMAZON Music Service?
TIDAL doesn’t suit me for a long time. It is a great pity and a disadvantage for ROON.
Thank you
Jiri

Because none of the large streaming services have any interest in turning over their data bases to Roon. Amazon and Apple want you to buy their products and services; music streaming is a means of bringing you into their ecosystems. Roon is not at fault for not integrating with these companies.

5 Likes