Tidal ‘HiFi’ is NOT lossless

Because Amazon cloud services fail the same way and take Tidal down with them.

Surely it is totally irrelevant as to wether Tidal Hi-Fi is lossless or not.

A relevant example is Chris Rea “New Light Through Old Windows”. I choose this example to highlight the difference between the original FLAC 44.1 kHz 16bit version and the subsequent MQA 44.1kHz offering.

The clue is in the album title so Let’s Dance and forget the old invalid arguments and just enjoy the music.
Bob Stuart got it right with MQA. Sorry to the dissenters who continue to choose the numbers rather than listen.

3 Likes

To my ears Tidal Hifi sounds just great on my all-digital Genelec setup, no matter if it is in redbook or - as some say - ”not lossless”. I would say that it is a great value for 9,99 euros per month.

Hector I am sure everyone in the community respects your opinion but your comment treats the “dissenters” with an undeserved lack of respect. I’m sure everyone here listens to their music first and foremost or they wouldn’t be here.

Cheers.

4 Likes

I dunno, I sometimes think some people are just here for the fight.

6 Likes

Bob Stuart got it wrong with Mqa. Sorry to the dissenters who continue to choose to play defense instead of listen

1 Like

Well. I’m luvin’ it… :joy: MQA

3 Likes

I really hadn’t posted this as yet another is MQA is not MQA.
I hadn’t read anything on Tidal hifi and thought I would share.

I feel you should always listen to what makes you the happiest. I just like being able to understand what it is that makes me happy.

10 Likes

I couldn’t care less about MQA, the features of the service are way ahead of the alternative, Qobuz.

Given there is no roon mobile and the Qobuz app is a barren wasteland (feature wise), it is a fantastic app.

1 Like

Maybe I’m just a simple soul here?

All I need an app to do is play music for me and Qobuz does that flawlessly.
It’s interface is much easier to work with compared to Tidal or Spotify .
I have zero interest in extra features, don’t use playlists or any type of connect.

All I use it for is to play albums I have already “hearted” without dropout, usually in the car via Bluetooth from my phone.

And that’s all folk’s…

6 Likes

I’m even simpler, iPod and shuffle.

3 Likes

Hello,
Why doesn’t ROON also support AMAZON Music Service?
TIDAL doesn’t suit me for a long time. It is a great pity and a disadvantage for ROON.
Thank you
Jiri

Roon does not just use the services’ API, Roon requires specific data to be shared back and forth. That requirement is a hindrance for not only Amazon, but Spotify, and Apple integration.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the reply. Why then ROON and TIDAL do not offer a choice between pure HiRes FLAC and MQA. Now the user / client has no choice and must go through MQA. If I want to use Roon, then we have no choice because Qobuz is not available in my country. This is sad and daunting for Roon.

And for people that don’t need the added features Qobuz is a much better service.

I am just getting tired of people obssessing over MQA. Neither Roon or Qobuz are bit perfect on Android, Tidal is (im aware MQA tracks aren’t).

My overall point is that all services have trade offs. Spotify is a podcast riddled mess (at least for me), Apple Music has its flaws etc. Pick the one that suits you best and by all means highlight any issues but if the thing that is an issue is intrinsic to the service what is the point.

I understand discussing the drawbacks and merits of each service but the constant whining about MQA is getting long in the tooth to me.

12 Likes

On that we 100% agree sir!
Nicely said if I may say so.

5 Likes

Tidal does not offer HiRes PCM. It offers MQA instead, which is HiRes PCM in a bit-compressed form. These various streaming services differentiate themselves by their choices of content, format, sample rate, music discovery, podcasts, playlists etc. Tidal has chosen one way, Qobuz a different way.

1 Like

Using the Versions feature in Roon, often there are both MQA and 16/44 versions available. TBH if you don’t like MQA there are many other options that don’t involve Roon. And to be brutally honest there are a hell of a lot more sad and daunting things in the world than whether someone is “forced” to listen to MQA :man_shrugging:. Just saying.

8 Likes

In my opinion, it’s great that music lovers have so many options today. And if we want to afford it, we can even subscribe to more than one streaming service. Fortunately, this doesn’t have to be an either-or thing.

7 Likes

That has nothing to do with Roon, it’s Tidals choice to use MQA for hires streaming. Roon has no say in this.

1 Like