TIDAL hifi stream breaking up

Well! I kicked the Tidal HIFI stream back on a couple of hours ago and the first track (of Howling Wolf in FLAC) stuttered for its entire length, then moved to the next track and has been problem free since then. I switched to a Grusin/Ritenour album and it has not stuttered at all. Can’t figure this at all!

Such inconsistency without any comment from the Tidal people is going to be just as frustrating.

I recieved a message from a gentleman at Tidal named
PÅL BRÅTELUND
Strategic Partnership Manager
I sent Pal a message via the Roon Support forums on the weekend.

Pal assured me that they are aware that there is an issue and investigating.
At least we now know that someone in senior management is aware.

This morning … Roon played Tidal for 2 minutes before freezing and becoming unusable.

Though I have so far lasted about 30 minutes using just the Tidal MAC OS app.

That is good news John. I haven’t had a substantive response to my email to Tidal Support yet. The problem was continuing as of last night for me.

If @palbratelund was able to let us know what the position is in this thread it could be a convenient way to get news out to at least affected Roon subscribers. Fingers crossed that Pal gets the notification and is able to give us some news.

After the initial trouble using Tidal within Roon this morning (have not tried Tidal from within Roon, this afternoon) … the Tidal MAC OS app has been trouble free for me all day.

This is the longest that I have been able to play Tidal for nearly 2 weeks.

Good times … though I want to get the Roon/Tidal combo going on again.

This is kind of weird for me … as the Roon/Tidal combo is traditionally rock solid … more reliable the the stand alone Tidal MAC OS app (though I am using an old version of the App, as I really like the “My Recommendations” view … it tells me of new albums from my favourite artists). Though this morning it was the opposite … stand alone Tidal app is performing so well … while the Roon/Tidal combo (playing Tidal songs from within Roon) was so problematic that I gave up quickly.

Pal did mention that they are working with partners like Akamai … and asked me what ISP I used.

Mine is Telstra.

Andrew, I remembered you use … “iiinet”.
So I advised Pal of that one as well.

Remembered some people from the Stereonet website use “Optus
so I advised of that one as well.

It may be worthwhile for anyone experiencing issues, to mention what ISP
that use in this thread, this may help them to Tidal to troubleshoot.
Just a thought.

@andybob , I agree with you, I think it would be great if @palbratelund could provide an
update in this thread. I think it is is worthwhile.

Today, I am much happier with Tidal for two reasons ;

1. I can get Tidal to play no issues (though unfortunately not from within Roon).
  2. gentleman from Tidal (Pal) advised that they are investigating, so I got some assurance that they are taking the issue seriously and trouble shooting.

John

Tuesday evening, 7:15pm. I’ve been streaming from Tidal for about a half hour (more Mogwai !) No problems so far, back to the rock solid Roon/Tidal combination I’ve enjoyed in the past.

Fingers crossed that whatever went wrong has been fixed. It would be great to hear from @palbratelund directly about these issues; what went wrong, how it was fixed, why it won’t recur etc.

Hi, folks.

Thanks for the patience. We were actually not properly aware of this problem at all until John Duke contacted me here. Sorry for not being able to scan all foras all the time. We have a bunch of partners and most of them have very active foras. :smile: We had sporadic reports of issues in Australia but nothing that seemed to be of major concern.

We also have a server guy working out of Perth that has flawless streaming on many of the ISPs that you have mentioned.

However, we are in co-operation with some hifi hardware partners optimizing streaming performance together with our delivery partner Akamai.

I can tell you that one thing is certain - it is not our servers going over capacity because this is scaled to handle a lot more traffic. And I know many of you test and report solid amounts of bandwidth in the house. So this has a lot to do with the handshake between our delivery partners and your ISPs. Some ISPs seem to be totally unaffected while others begin to halt - especially in Netflix prime time…

We are working with our partners to make sure there is nothing with the TCP stack that causes trouble. While we in our own clients try to suck down as much of the track into buffer in one go - others have limited buffer and do this by a variety of methods. Some handle resending of packets better than others.

So the issue is not always bandwidth nor our servers, it’s method and it’s how ISPs congest high-bandwidth streaming. I think one post above mentioned evening time in Australia. We have had some related topics in Sweden where one ISP prioritised Netflix hard due to a partnership. These kinds of things.

It seems like things have improved. It might be down to the work our friends at Akamai has done, and hopefully also some work on the ISP side.

I’ll hang around on this thread in the next couple of days.
Thanks so much for your help reporting and for the patience.

Whenever you have trouble with Roon/TIDAL, try the TIDAL clients directly with same music to see if it is a client related issue or a general issue.

Pål

1 Like

Thanks Pal, really appreciate you dropping in with that news.

Edit: Still no problems here as at 8:15 pm.

There were emails by Australian users to Tidal Support which didn’t result in the same level of attention or information. Is there some better channel for us to bring these issues to the attention of Tidal or Akamai, should they recur ? Speaking as a user I’d really like to be able to let you guys know when this happens so that Akamai can check it out. We don’t have as much clout with ISPs as you guys.

Pål … I also have no trouble today/tonight (Telstra ISP).

I appreciate you contacting me … as I logged tickets with Tidal Support 3 or 4 days ago and am yet to be contacted by them. A number of Aussies did get replies from Tidal Support … starting with “Hello Trevor …” even if there name is not Trevor. Maybe something to alert the team lead of the support teams about.

On StereoNet (Aussie hifi site) a lot of people are having a much better experience … though one guy just posted he has been OK , then had trouble later tonight (iinet ISP).

@palbratelund Pål , may I have permission to paste your reply above into the stereo.net.au forum ???
… I think it would be good … the Aussies are bit starved of information of what has been going on … a bit of detail would go a long way is my thoughts.

John

Thanks, John. It was actually TIDAL Support that pointed me towards the issues so I think they let me to handle it, haha.

Feel free to repost but beware it will be challenging for me to take part in the discussion there timewise. Thank you!

Pål

Bob, yes I was seeing that error message this morning in Roon.

It was …

""Error Loading Page

Please check your network connection.

Reload Page""

My Tidal issues seem to have dissapeared today and I no longer see the error in Roon (as of tonight Australia time).

John

Pål … thanks for that. :slight_smile: Understand about the time difference in relation to discussion.
Will paste your reply over there now.

By the way, most of the Aussies seemed to have had no problem today … though later tonight (Sydney time) about 8pm to 11pm … reports started trickling in again about performance issues.
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/89212-qs-for-tidal-users/page-10#entry1488175
May not be out of the woods yet.

John

Hi all, Singapore user here. I am also experiencing stuttering of Tidal stream in Roon. Been this way for the past 5 days. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Zhin

Hi all,
i’m in France (Paris) and same difficulties with Roon / TIDAL. Tidal native app or web access are OK.
Yesterday no access at all via ROON
Today OK but some TIDAL’s covers remains “grey” in ROON UI.

This is the other thread that may be indicative of the root of my issues.

BW

Today (during the day) in Australia was better for more people on Telstra ISP.

Though another ISP , called TPG also had people experiencing problems with Tidal playback.

So the ISP’s in Australia that are currently have people affected are;
Telstra
Optus
iinet
TPG

Higher download speeds also do not guarantee less issues.
People can be fine on 8mbps … though people with 18 mbps have trouble.
People on 100 mbps can be OK … then another person who also has 100 mbps is no good.

This is my 2nd day of trouble free streaming (the previous 2 weeks were awful … often could not play at all). So I am much happier, so, Issues appear to be mostly resolved for a number of people in OZ, but unfortunately some people still are experiencing grief.

Tidal support is also getting better in responding to us.

Streaming Tidal HIFI was trouble-free via ROON until 5pm Melbourne time when breaking started again.

I installed Tidal apps on Naim and OPPO hardware which similarly broke up, perhaps not as readily but that is a subjective assessment. The Tidal app on iPad did seem more stable … Again subjective.

it seems that ISPs (Telstra for me) de-prioritise ( is that the verb?) the Tidal stream versus other data-heavy demands like Netflux.

David, maybe a coincidence or not … but I am also with Telstra, located near Sydney, and at 4:58pm I head a stutter during playback … then exactly at 5pm Tidal playback completely stopped. I was using Tidal app on my Macbook Pro at the time.

I then pressed the start button again (I was listening to a shuffled playlist) about 5:05 pm and all was OK again.

John

another issue … which I have reported to Tidal support.

“If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra” …
pressed play … no sound for about 15 secounds , then first song called “Burning Love” started stuttering and freezing, unlistenable.

I forwarded to next track, “It’s Now or Never” … played fine.

“Love Me Tender” was fine, then about 1 minute into the song, it stuttered and froze.

This was between 10:20 pm and 10:30 pm Australian EST (Sydney) time.

The device I was using for playback was “Auralic Aries” Network Streaming Bridge.
It is setup with wired ethernet connection to a network switch (which my ISP Modem and WiFi Routers are also connected to).
My local playback of music ripped to my home’s network storage has played fine all day using the Auralic Aries, not one issue.

Tidal experience for many people posting to the Stereonet forums in Australia was very poor today. I was actually OK until 5 pm, then it went downhill and I gave up listening to Tidal for tonight.

I received an email from Kristy at Tidal Support responding to my email. I gave her some details and pointed her to this thread. I suggested that Tidal or Akamai should set up a system to enable users to report streaming issues as they arise so they can get onto any errant ISPs ASAP. Hopefully they will take this to heart.

I was out tonight and didnt listen to music, sorry to hear that people are continuing to have issues.

1 Like

What a great idea !