TIDAL in trouble again?

Has anyone else seen this story of deceptive reporting of subscriber numbers by TIDAL? I’ve seen the report elsewhere (of course, I can’t recall where). Some good news around for a change, please?

1 Like

Interesting article, thanks for sharing it.

Will be interesting to see what effect MQA streaming has in the coming months.

I think these are really old numbers and there is every few months a troubling report about tidal, spotifiy etc. I too hope that Tidal gets off the ground with MQA, but to get there they should make much better Marketing for MQA to be recogniced as superior. But my hope is not to high as most people didn’t even care about the HIFI-Line of Tidal.

I have a new Tidal-Membership because of MQA. But i hope that APPLE or Spotify joins the MQA-Bandwaggon so that we all have more choices at the end and (above all) have a new high-res standard which is widely recognized and established.

If you care about Tidal and the amazing service we all get from it. Subscribe and use it. Tell your friends.
Its use it or lose it folks…

4 Likes

I absolutely do subscribe, the combination of Roon and Tidal is unbeatable, as far as I’m concerned. I would like to see some signs of a longer life span for Tidal, rather than a shorter one, that’s all. You’re are 100% correct @Chrislayeruk , subscribers = survival.

3 Likes

As said above, the combo of Roon and Tidal is amazing, and obviously other services are way behind on quality. I am a subscriber and happy to pay the premium for the higher quality. Today I tried Tidal Master into a Bluesound Node 2 directly into my Meridian DSP8000’s, first time I got 96k from Tidal…great sound though I am not sure what it actually was, because the DSP’s did not recognize it as MQA…
Support Tidal :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://www.ft.com/content/16384392-98f8-3ab0-af64-33a365884036

Sprint has acquired a 33 per cent stake in Tidal, the music streaming service owned by rapper Jay Z, as the US telecoms group looks to challenge Spotify and Apple Music in the fast-growing sector.

Needs a subscription to view it I think

Darko has covered it on his website
Not much detail yet

Might seem a less than awesome development to some who don’t view Sprint in the most positive light
I am looking at this positively it should safeguard the short term and hopefully mean further investment

Sprint has acquired a 33 per cent stake in Tidal, the music streaming service owned by rapper Jay Z, as the US telecoms group looks to challenge Spotify and Apple Music in the fast-growing sector.No financial details were given for the deal. In a statement, Sprint said chief executive Marcelo Claure will join Tidal’s board of directors.“Sprint shares our view of revolutionising the creative industry to allow artists to connect directly with their fans and reach their fullest, shared potential,” said Jay Z. “Marcelo understood our goal right away and together we are excited to bring Sprint’s 45 million customers an unmatched entertainment experience.”Jay Z – whose real name is Shawn Carter – bought Tidal for $56m in January 2015 and relaunched the service in a star-studded press conference two months later. Mr Carter enlisted some of music’s biggest names as equity partners in the service, offering stock and cash in exchange for promotional and marketing support. Tidal positioned itself as an artist-friendly service at a time when some musicians are pushing for higher royalty rates from leading music services including Spotify.Despite its high-profile backers, however, Tidal has struggled to gain traction. It reached 3m paying subscribers by March 2016. That compares with nearly 30m for Spotify and 13m for Apple Music. The company has also gone through three chief executives since its relaunch.

Copyright
				The Financial Times Limited 2017. All rights reserved. You may share
  • List item