Tidal Masters via Roon

See attached.

The DirectStream won’t do decoding via Roon yet (and that’s fine) so I don’t enable pass-through via the Windows app.

But I thought the Roon signal path (screenshot above) would tell me if it’s 24/88, even if it plays at 24/44 (for now).

Can you test this? Does your MQA decoding for this track go beyond 24/44?

You’re confusing the original sample rate of the source material (44.1) with the sample rate coming out of the core decoder in the TIDAL app (88.2). There should be no expectation that these two numbers match.

The TIDAL app decodes all MQA to 2x (either 88.2 or 96) in software. That is why you are getting 88.2kHz.

Remember-the DirectStream doesn’t decode MQA from its USB input either, so the only MQA handling is what the TIDAL app is doing. When the DirectStream receives that stream from the TIDAL app, it is just seeing 88.2 PCM and has no idea about MQA.

Roon’s sniffer is telling you the sample rate of the master–that is, that file that went into the MQA encoder during the authoring process. This same number is often displayed on the front panel of an MQA DAC during playback when the stream is being un-folded in the DAC (i.e. not this situation), but it just communicates information about the master, not about the playback chain.

Yes, MQA (authoring / display) sample rate 44.1kHz or 48kHz becomes 88.2kHz or 96kHz after going through MQA Core decoding from Tidal desktop app. This is a feature, and came as a surprise to some:

1 Like

Ah I see. This was something I didn’t know/expect that the Tidal desktop app was doing. Ok everything is working as it should.

Thanks Peter. All clear now.

Next question is, does anyone know what up-sampling methods the Tidal desktop app is using, to up-sample a 24/44 MQA file to 24/88?

Tidal’s own methods or using MQA Ltd’s methods?

That’s part of MQA Core decoding and should be the same across all certified MQA (core or full) decoders.

1 Like

I see, thanks.

It’s not upsampling, it’s unfolding the extra information stored in the file beneath the noise floor.

Hi Chris, but what extra information is there in a 24/44 MQA file? Nothing has been folded, no? So what is there to unfold?

I know it’s a different case for 24/88/96 MQA files though.

You are correct, I was thinking of higher Res MQA files.

1 Like

Not a problem.

I didn’t know about this up-sampling feature for 24/44/48 MQA files, until now.

OK, when I see a Tidal file (CD or MQA) displayed through Bluesound or the MConnect app it gives me a place to start. I have a high end system (vinyl, NAS, & streaming services as sources) and stream through a PS Audio Directstream & Dreamplayer. I can see EXACTLY, when I select an MQA file, what resolution it’s being played at! There are differences based on when and how the recording were remastered into MQA files.
All this community is saying is give us an interface (with Tidal) like we see with Bluesound or MConnect… it gives us a place to start. We can (if you have a good DAC and system) see what quality we’re hearing/streaming.
If that’s not in your plans, I’ll give up my lifetime membership with Roon, and wait for you to understand the issue.

1 Like

real shame we can’t easily identify Tidal Masters and search solely for them.

2 Likes

There is an unofficial list where you can find all Masters listed.

I’m sure the functionality you request will be available some day.