TIDAL only plays when lowering streaming quality

Hey @Anthony_Yeung, I’ve moved your reply into it’s own post so that we can properly assist you.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Additionally, as a first step, can you please try changing the DNS to see if this will allow you to stream higher quality?

We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

Thanks! :pray:t3:

I’m running Roon Core in my MacBook Pro 2015, connected to a mesh router ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) wirelessly with strong signal. I tried to make my setting simpler. Reboot everything, connect via cable and play music throught built-in speaker, it stopped again after playing half of a song. Then I shut my Room Core down for a few days.

Last Saturday, I tried to stream tidal music in Master quality again, it worked perfectly. But the same problem returned after finishing an album.

I read several posts about similar issue. I’ll try to source a QNAP NAS (TS-471A with 8G RAM) as my Roon Server. Hope the issue could be fixed.

I very much doubt it’s your Mac as Roon Core that’s at fault here so a change to a Qnap is unlikely to resolve anything.

It certainly sounds like a network issue of some sort.

What level of resolution can you successfully stream at?
16/44?
24/96?

You need to use a wired network connection for the Roon Core. Turn off the WiFi of the MacBook Pro.

1 Like

I tried to use cable to connect once, but not a long test, same result. Or I should try longer or bypassing my router and connect to Modem directly.
I’m not an IT expert. I tested repeatedly for a few days, similar timeslot and similar bandwidth (via network speed test, household network with around 600Mbps download, 500 Mbps upload speed). If it’s a network issue, I don’t understand why sometimes it works, but sometimes don’t.

Wifi can be terribly inconsistent in performance depending on what else is going on in the vicinity at any given time.
That is why Roon recommend wired Ethernet connection for the core, even if it’s slower speed it’s consistent due to its nature vs wifi.

If you could try a direct connection to modem that would be great.
At least it will give us more information to work with.

Has Tidal ever worked or is this a new problem?

Tidal works fine on my desktop, but not iOS device.

So it works to the mac through roon but not to your phone?

Yes. Tidal will stop playing / keep loading when playing songs with low quality.

Is that to the mac ir the phone or both of them?

A post was split to a new topic: TIDAL acting slowly - takes long time to buffer

Hey @Anthony_Yeung, I wasn’t able to determine if you’ve tried to change the DNS just yet. Please confirm if you were able to try this step. Also, what type of iOS devices are you using that experiences this issue?

Are you able to use the TIDAL web player without the same issue occurring (listen.TIDAL.com )?

I have no problem on destop version, no matter Mac OS or Windows.
I reported the issue to Tidal support.

I’ve tested different network setup for 2 days.

1. Laptop > wired > router
  2. Laptop > wired > Modem
  3. Laptop > wireless > router
    Remarks: same broadband

I’m new to roon. I’m still exploring the world of roon with a trial account. Version 1.8 is the first version I worked with. I have no doubt to say that the wired connection should be the most stable, no matter connected to router or direct to Modem. But surprisingly, I had no issue to all 3 settings, even the wireless one in these 2 days. I did nothing on router setting, except the end device connection. I have no idea to the root cause of problem.

I’ll keep monitoring before I subscript the service.

Well, what I can share is I’m a B&W Formation Duo user. B&W offered an app for streaming music from Tidal as well. I worked on both B&W’s and roon, same song, same streaming quality, same network settings (wired and wireless), same laptop, etc… B&W’s worked fine, and only roon returned issues frequently.

I think it could be a control test or reference on network setup or app design.

1 Like

Kept trying for a couple of days, it functioned normally, no matter wired or wirelessly. However, same issue reported again after I upgraded my Mac OS to newer beta version last night. Musics from Tidal were unable to play, or played for a few seconds only, both wired or wirelessly. Network settings were the same. So I pretty sure it’s a programming issue instead of network’s, although the message said slow connection.

Please help to figure out.

The beta version I’m talking about is my OS version, not the program version.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know that the issue re-occurred after you downloaded a macOS beta - which beta version was downloaded?

Since beta testing means that it hasn’t yet been released to the public, there may be some incompatibility issues or other concerns that pop up, so until it’s released to the public, it won’t be fully supported in Roon. You can read more about our explanation about this here: macOS Beta and Roon

Can you please full reboot all devices within your Setup (Core, router, remotes, etc.). You’ll want to power them down, unplug them for a few minutes, plug them back in and power them back on, does the same issue still occur?

If so, can you please play to “System Output” and let us know if it continues?

Thanks so much!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.