Tidal Pricing and the EU

You are also used to by far the highest salaries in Europe…

I happen to be in Basel this week for work and I am paying €20 for a lunch in the company canteen (no drink, no sides, just a plate of food). So the increased Tidal prices for Switzerland do not seem far-fetched.

For this at my place in Colombia I can have lunch during 10 days, including drink and sides…

110k is simply not realistic, sorry. That reflects maybe the top 1% of the citizens income. For most people it’s more like 60-70k before taxes and any kind of insurance.

Tidal is simply out of control regarding their prices. That’s why I stick with Qobuz, paying almost half the Tidal price.

1 Like

I’m in the UK, I pay £3 -4 in my staff restaurant and it is restaurant standard, the breakfasts alone are the best I have had anywhere.
I look forward to eating there.
€20 is outrageous, I pay less in Rome for pizza and a coke.

Nevertheless salaries and cost of living are the highest in Europe

1 Like

You’re lucky to get subsidised canteen it certainly isn’t the norm. I’m UK and get no such luxuries, it’s a supermarket meal deal to save on costs or a very overpriced sandwich from the main high st sellers. Including a drink this is not shy of £10.

2 Likes

It’s interesting here that we talk about the differences in regional pricing and in regional incomes affecting the monthly fees. One opinion seems to be lower prices are desired because some places charge more than others - the affect on the incomes of the subscriber.

In another thread the discussion is about the incomes of the artists. One opinion seems to be that there should be higher prices because the artists don’t get paid much.
The future of streaming: is trouble ahead?

Seems it’s quite a complex picture.

The world as a whole is rather unfair across many countries.

I recall working out in the middle east back in 1996/97. I was earning quite a handsome amount. My counter parts from India were on a less than one of my days pay for the same week worked. They saw that amount as a lot. :man_shrugging:

Would one global currency system work? Nope. Global economies would fall flat on their arses.

I’m all for fairness, but it’s a dream.

It could also be down to what music labels are charging Tidal to enable streaming in certain countries. Maybe that’s why there’s a difference.

IDK :no_mouth:

1 Like

Cambridge Audio CXNv2 for one.

1 Like

Just looking for transparency when there is no EU wide pricing, and differentiated pricing is being applied.

1 Like

What did they say when you contacted them?

Indeed, and artist income is a big concern. So personally I find it a bit strange to obsess about not getting Tidal at the lower price that poorer countries seem to get. (It does seem to correlate quite well based on the pricing info in this thread so far).

2 Likes

I hear you :+1:

Given that most things in Portugal are considerably cheaper than the more wealthy EU counties I would concur it’s likely to do with cost of living in that country. The lower it is the lower the price of Tidal. This folllows with its pricing in South America to.

Just keep confirming how my IP address is used to determine what Price the Subscription is charged at.

I see, sounds like it’s not any sort of a mistake then. Just the marketing strategy that they have adopted. Tidal have had profitability problems so it’s likely that they have been forced into price increases. We shall see what happens in the next year. Inflation is everywhere as I’m sure you are aware, this product is a luxury not a necessity.
Spend your families money wisely.

1 Like

Tidal vary their price by country. As do Apple

In South Africa I pay in Rand , R120 for hi fi plus, I think hi fi is R70

R 19 = $1, at this minute so I pay roughly $6.5 , a bargain

I believe Apple is R70 too

There has to be some advantages :money_mouth_face:

The Music Streaming Services Available In South Africa, With Pricing - Stuff South Africa.

1 Like

$13 Mike, you cant use it half the time :wink:

There has to be some advantage to living here . All the majors apply similar pricing , Spotify , Amazon even Netflix

This thread reminds me of this:

5 Likes