TIDAL to add 'millions' of Master Quality (MQA) Tracks

I guess you could do either or both!

If you tag TIDAL non-MQA, you can focus on that tag + format=MQA to see any changes in the future (and bookmark that focus).

1 Like

I suspect Tidal Connect is still a bit work in progress

Cambridge Audio is mentioned by name but on the CA support site they are talking about a firmware update “Coming soon” to enable Tidal Connect , the good bit is it will support CXN v1, v2 , 851N and Edge when it does come

Excellent idea :+1:

Another reason to use Qobuz.

8 Likes

Not if it’s not available where you live :man_shrugging:

As Warner Music Group seems to be the label at the top of the heap in converting albums to MQA, here is a link to their roster for those who have an interest.

I have the HIFI Master package but few masters. We are not entitled to MQA such as dire straits, pink floyd .Canada is the poor child of quality streaming. I know it’s all about rights.

Yep millions more 24 bit 384 kHz “Masters” from 14 bit mastertapes :rofl:

5 Likes

I have not seen a ton more show up under the “Masters” tab in Roon yet, but a few sound pretty good on the new NEO iDSD DAC/Amp from iFi Audio.

I don’t usually turn volume leveling off, but if I do, the NEO iDSD does a full decode. First iFi DAC I’ve had that does this, so that’s slightly neat.

1 Like

For the last couple of days, I’ve been using the Tidal app to peruse all the MQA albums and “liking” the ones I want but don’t already have in Roon. Then I go into Roon - Settings - Services - Tidal and sync. Boom, there they are in Roon added to my library.

4 Likes

The Yes (Steven Wilson Remixes) 24/96 is still not available, only the 16/44.1 ones in MQA.

Those were well worth the purchase, the whole 24/96 box set was 28 USD before tax if you catch it on sale at HDTracks. 35 USD regular price. An absolute steal, imho.

I have listened for awhile now to MQA. I like it on older recordings but can not say with certainty that I preferred it over 44.1 red book. I find myself going back into the versions setting and converting back to non MQA after A/B comparisons.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Reminds me of my SACD’s. Some remasters are really good, some are not, too hot or over emphasizing certain aspects of the recording?

MQA has nothing to do with the artistic choice of the master. So if an album is Hot and that’s the authentic mix, it’s not up to MQA to fix it.

2 Likes

In particular, how long does it take to track down performers who are dead, and how do you get their approval?

1 Like

If there’s anything bad or indifferent about your MQA recording that’s not the fault of MQA.

Anything good about your MQA recording is down to MQA.

Right, I see. Incredible.

Any chance that we may still get these?..perhaps the releases are happening over several days/weeks? I can only hope…

Yep, exactly… MQA delivers the authentic file undamaged by the delivery process. The artistic intension is up to the artist. If they want to make and release Hot files, that’s their choice. They could remaster them with a greater dynamic range of course.

They must have advanced séance technology!

2 Likes

If the artist is dead, it will be up to the owners. MQA require an authentic file, the closest to the original that’s available.