Tidal tracks import

Hi. I did my initial setup with Tidal view the Roon wizard during setup. Tidal imported but the tracks are in no order whatsoever and I can’t figure out how to re order. Should I disconnect from Tidal, change library import settings in Roon and retry?
Thanks.

Screenshots of what you are seeing would help. Which view in Roon are you talking about?

Import settings are for local files only not from streaming services. These will just show in the relevant views in the sort order you have chosen. Default may be popularity but can’t remember been a long time since I had a fresh install. You can set this in each view manually to your preferred option and in settings you can set a default if I remember. Can’t show you pictures as not at home but it’s top right in any view to change it.

Here are two screenshots:
This is how Roon shows Tidal favorite tracks (appears to be alphabetical)

This is how Tidal lists favorite tracks (by newest date added) my setting in Tidal app.

Is there a way to sort/shuffle in Roon Tidal favorite tracks? I can’t seem to figure it out. I wanted it by date added like in the Tidal app.
Thanks.

Yes that’s alphabetical.

Top right, not visible in your screenshot, isn’t there a menu for sort options? I can’t remember if that exists in Tracks view on the phone and I’m not home to check. If is there, it is probably simply labeled “Sort” on the phone. Open it and there should be other options (?).

In other views, like album, it definitely exists on the phone. And in PC and tablet remotes, which are much less space restricted, there are lots of sort options for tracks as well - there’s like 10 or more columns (some optional) to sort by.

Generally, the Roon phone UI is focused on simple playback and many features are not there. For in-depth interaction, you won’t be happy without a tablet or PC/laptop

Directly in Roon Core I don’t see a sort feature for Tidal Tracks or Favorite Albums. Am I missing something?

Ah, now I understand, you are in Roon Sidebar > Browse > Tidal > My Tidal Collection > Tracks.

These Tidal locations are not how Roon is meant to be used. They are only limited windows into your Tidal account and can’t do much but list things with default options. Some things are somewhat useful like new releases or maybe finding playlists, but they are nevertheless still limited.

Everything you have favorited in Tidal is automatically added to your Roon library, und you find that in Roon Sidebar > My Library > Albums/Artists/Tracks/etc. This is where you find all the features Roon adds to managing your collection. (And some are in Roon Sidebar > My Stuff).

However, the My Library > Tracks is also limited on the phone. You can use Roon’s Focus feature to choose what you want to see (Genres, Release Dates, Performers, and many more options), but there is no sort menu there either.

This is certainly annoying and think it has been frequently requested to improve this on the phone. However, two important things to note:

• Roon is very album centric and working with tracks lags a bit compared working with albums
  • The phone app of Roon is missing many features that larger devices have. As mentioned, it’s very focused on just simple playback (even so, some things should be there that are missing like the track sort). If you actually want to explore what Roon can do, you can’t do it with a phone, you need a tablet or PC. This was that the Tracks library looks like then - 13 columns to choose from, with sort and filter option. Plus, of course Focus, Tags, Favorites

Thanks for the great detailed explanation and knowledge. I do see specific filters and sort options within my library on my laptop. Need to still dive in and figure some of the sorting features.
Bit dissapointed it won’t sort within Tidal and Qobuz like the actual apps will. Would be nice if it synced the way the individual apps sort.
So I’m curious if the phone app is not very good, for those that run a NUC headless, what do you use for Roon? A tablet?
Thanks.

It does, just not on the phone for tracks (the phone does have sort for albums and I think other views) and not in Browse > Tidal. You just have to use Roon how it is meant to be used :slight_smile:

• Roon is of the opinion that it should not matter if your content is local from Tidal or from Qobuz. You can sort all your library content (whether it is from Tidal, Qobuz, or local) with various criteria in My Library > Albums (also on phone) and My Library > Tracks (only on the larger devices). E.g., the sort menu in My Albums (and the Filter option is next to it)

(and I already posted the screenshot of My Tracks earlier)

• If you want to see only Tidal content in My Library for some reason, you can use Focus to choose only the Tidal content. You can also bookmark this so that you can later bring it up with one click

My regular Macbook when I am at the desk or if I want to do more complex things. An iPad (but most cheap Android tablets do as well) is on the couch desk in front of my stereo system, if I want to browse my collection and play with more involvement. And I also use the phone if it’s at hand and if I just want to start an album or something

same problems with Tidal Tracks here. I see the Date added-option in the Album view, but not for Tracks.
Using Roon on a MacBook.

oh, same thing in Roon ARC, no Date added Option, would love to use it way more often, but this is annoying.

same in Qobuz, I think, would love to see it fixed, seems like just another sorting option for Roon

Click the gear wheel top right in the tracks view and configure the columns you want to see. Date Added exists on PC/Mac/Tablets, just not on the phone. Like in the screenshot I put in an earlier post above:

Oh, thank you so much, I didn’t saw the gearwheel because of my small 14" screen, thank you.

But next thing: I see not only the single tracks I`ve favorited in Tidal, but also all tracks of the favorite Albums, which I would expect to see in the Albums section.

How to fix that?

1 Like

That’s how it is, it shows all tracks, including those of albums. No way to change that

I See, and this is annoying imho. So to get it clear: Roon can sort tracks, albums, artists in the Tidal Section, and it can sort import date in the Overview section, but you can’t combine them?
Is it because Roon doesn’t want to? Or because they can’t? I can’t believe either one…

Roon is album centric, all tracks have to belong to an album.

The group individually tracks from disparate albums I suggest using playlists.