Tidal via Roon vs Lumin App

Please stop the playback and restart it. Do not change settings during playback.

D2 analog output level normal is 4V rms XLR. Setting it to low it’d be less than 4V.

Please tell me your setting of Digital Audio Output, Volume Control and Leedh Processing Volume.

Digital Audio Output “Off” , Volume Control “Off”, and Leedh Processing Volume “On”.

I have D2 plugged directly into my headphone amplifier Mcintosh MHA100. I do want the 4Vrms so I have analog audio output level on “Normal”. Are these the correct settings to get the 4Vrms from XLR output? For some reason the volume sound lower than my Schiit Bifrost 2 dac which also outputs 4Vrms balancex XLR.

Please make sure Roon DSP Engine (including headroom management) is disabled, volume leveling is disabled.

Please power cycle the Lumin D2, then check that in Lumin app, custom re-sampling is disabled, and Analog Output Level is Normal.

Please make sure you’re using the D2 XLR output (for 4V rms output), not the RCA output (which outputs 2V rms).

Yep followed those steps. I will just stick with these settings. All is good, and most importantly the sound is great! Thank you!

Oh! Am I able to have both the RCA and XLR output of the D2 connected to two difference amps? Both outputs would play simultaneously?

If I use the setting Analog Output Level “Low” , does this degrade the sound quality compared to “Normal”?

OK as long as you are not experiencing ground loop issues.

Degradation, if any, should be minimal.

Is the lowering of the output to “low” happening in the digital domain? Or is volume control in the D2 analog?

It is digital

So the volume on the D1/D2 coaxial outputs is also under volume control in sync with the analogue outputs?

Yes in sync

1 Like

Peter, I’ve got a U1 mini coming soon, prepared to use it with Roon. I was wondering if there is a digital output that sounds best or designed to sound the best (USB vs AES/EBU vs Coax rca/bnc vs Optical) as my DAC supports all of these? My DAC is the Aqua La Scala mk2.

Please try a 1.5m AES cable (with USB disconnected) and USB separately, and see what sounds better to you, after turning the unit on for at least a few days.

1 Like

Thanks. I have a 0.75m AES cable, is that not viable?

That will work. Let’s try that first.

Wow I do find the AES output to sound fuller in the sub bass region which is my preference so I would agree that AES sounds better.

Peter, does the U1 mini do the full MQA unfolding of Tidal MQA tracks? The display does seem to show 192 for 192 MQA tracks in Tidal! My DAC is not MQA supported (Aqua La Scala) so Im assuming its the Lumin u1 mini doing the job.

As certified MQA transports, any Lumin digital output only go through MQA Core decoding that results in 88.2kHz or 96kHz. The display refers to the sample rate of the master, not the output. If you want full MQA decoding, you will need to use an analog output from any Lumin hardware (e.g. T2), because MQA is designed to compensate for specific hardware, so the last stage of MQA decoding known as Rendering is always only available in a hardware form. No MQA software and no MQA digital output will provide you full decoding or rendering.

So here in Roon (along with display of the U1 mini), it shows 192kHz but in fact the track is only being played / output at 96kHz?

Yes, it should output 96kHz for digital output. That’s how MQA Core decoding works.

I have noticed that with AES output (no usb connected or any other outputs connected) sometimes I hear click / pop sound when tracks change. Using roon tidal.

But with USB output I havent experienced any of this click noise on track changes. However AES sounds much better to me so I dont use USB.

Any suggestions?

A similar sound is produced by the DAC when the sample rate and track format are changed. Therefore, when I listen to playlists, I turn on the Roon upsample DSP mode until 24/192.