Tips or steps to take to ensure Arc works for my upcoming holiday?

So far, I have used Arc on three holidays, but on each instance it stopped working at some stage during my holiday.
I’m wondering are there any steps that I can take to increase the likelihood that it will last for my upcoming holiday in Brussels. My thinking is that I will

1. restart my Roon rock core on the day before to have that nice and fresh.
  2. I’m also thinking that in Roon itself, I will remove all queues for all the end points as these may be hogging up resources.
  3. Then restart my virgin media hub, and at the end of this process,
  4. check that Arc is still working on Mobile outside of my home Wi-Fi.

Is there anything that might usefully enhance the chances of Arc actually working for all my upcoming holiday that I haven’t thought of?

.sjb

If you haven’t done so already, make sure automatic updates for core and mobile are turned off.

Restarting your core shouldn’t be necessary, but does no harm. I also check everything works on 4G before leaving home.

I had no issues while away from home last week.

1 Like

If you have a spare standard computer, setup a remote desktop on it and leave it on. I can remote home to a pc via my android phone and then get to the ROCK web page to restart if necessary. I use Splashtop, but, Teamviewer might work as well.

I think @Jim_F setup a similar setup for the same reasons.

3 Likes

My advice have a back up plan. I have had too many failures with arc for extended time away. Turn off automatic app updates on your device as that will likely kill it for you if it updates and core doesn’t.

1 Like

If you are relying on downloaded music, put it in airplane mode and make sure it still works. Click on more than one album.

1 Like

Great idea but it must be tested over a phone connection before you go away.

1 Like

It sounded like he had some time to get things setup and tested. Obviously if the trip is next week that might be cutting it close if starting from ground zero. Luckily, I have lots of computers just sitting around to be repurposed into something else.

1 Like

I moved my core from a windows PC to a NUC/ ROCK specifically so that I would not have to leave a windows PC on all the time if I wanted to use Arc so it’s rather defeats the purpose if I have to leave a windows PC on all the time, so that I can ensure that Arc actually works!

.sjb

4 Likes

I bought a used Mac Mini for $200 for this purpose. I leave it running with Roon running and connected to my Nucleus. I started with Roon client but have since installed the full Roon program. So, I have 3 cores including Nucleus, Mac Mini, and Dell laptop. I have full control of the Nucleus from anywhere using Splashtop Personal (US$16 per year).

1 Like

Sad that people feel they have to go to all this trouble just to be able to use ARC. I have been away from home for half of the last month and just use the mobile tidal app. I deleted ARC after continued (despite reinstallation etc) ‘poor signal’ error messages (on wifi) every time I wanted to use it.

5 Likes

Cancel the vacation?

If youve got a pi to hand you could setup pivpn to access home LAN and reboot core if required.

I prefer to use pivpn with wireguard to access / run arc for streaming rather than the standard porting method in roon. Very solid.

1 Like

It used to be upgrades, on the early access track, that disrupted my use. It’s been pretty good for me and of late has worked really well. It’s them there upgrades that I have found to be the tricky devils.

1 Like

Tips from me

1. Change settings in bios to reboot after loss of power

2. Consider installing Ubuntu Server or similar and then Roon Server. You could then install SSH and a VPN on the same machine.
    This’ll allow full remote access to your machine should there be an issue. Also, the VPN will allow access to your router in case something happens.
    As @ogdens_sliced suggests.
    https://www.crosstalksolutions.com/pivpn-wireguard-complete-setup-2022/

3. Set a fixed IP for your core to ensure DHCP doesn’t change the cores IP

4. Have offline content on you streaming services app in the unlikely event your ISP at home goes down

Happy holidays

1 Like

Arcs reliability issues was the reason for purchasing a new DAP as this houses all my rips and can run all the streaming services via UAPP. It always works.

5 Likes

I have to say in recent months (on early access) ARC has been fantastic for me. I am in work in the office most days for 8-10 hours so a good 50-60% of these hours are from listening to ARC in the office.
(Last week I had 3 full days of meetings in the office so numbers were down)

I had my first warning about the quality issue the other day when Virgin media was :poop: the bed in the UK and it had turned out I was trying to stream DSD to a BT output :flushed:

2 Likes

Sorry John I meant to add that if you are concerned about reliability you can download a lot of music and go into Offline mode before leaving.

I once had the experience where I could not get into offline mode on ARC but that was back in September last year, so all the downloads were time wasted for me. I am guessing that is a thing of the past, but I will be putting my ARC in offline mode before I travel in June

1 Like

Thanks for all the help guys but I really don’t want to (or feel I should have to) set up VPN access for Arc to work for me.

What I’m trying to achieve is to give myself the best chance for Arc to work for the week I’m away and to get rid of some of the variables that may cause Arc to work for some and for me to lose access after a day or two.

I have an iPhone and iPad which go on holidays with me and I have a bit of space on the iPad so have downloaded some recently ripped albums and my mega playlist to it.

I have both core and iOS devices set to NOT update automatically.

I set the port forwarding rule manually - does anyone have an opinion about whether leaving UPnP enabled and letting Roon set up the port forwarding is more likely to make the Arc connection more stable?

.sjb

So router and core restarted and smelling of fresh spring aromas

Roon reporting Arc is working with exquisite finesse and vitality

iPhone (and iPad) working on cellular.

Here’s hoping Arc will continue to work for me for the next 8 days …

.sjb

2 Likes

Enjoy your holiday.

1 Like

Step 1: Install qobuz app on phone.
Step 2: Listen to music.

4 Likes