To install SSD or not?

I would sort the files by date and drag and drop those dated since last time. Seems like a non-issue to me.

That’s similar to what rsync does. Computers tend to be better at that this sort of thing than humans. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m more confused that ever now! I thought one of the benefits of getting the Nucleus was to store music on it. Im clearly a novice based on the responses my post has stirred. My NAS has been a bit of a nuisance so I was thinking of retiring it from handling my music library, so now I’m not quite sure what’s best. No point purchasing an internal SSD, if there is no real benefit.

I’m not familiar with rsync. For me, it would depend on how easy or difficult it is to setup and does it work to copy files from a Windows 10 laptop to a Nucleus and can it run on my existing laptop and/or Nucleus.

I have several spreadsheets that I update at least once per day, some less often. Everytime I save them to a folder on my laptop, I drag and drop the updated files to dropbox. It’s just too simple to need any sort of automated process.

Yes. Sorry for making things more complicated then they probably need to be. The unfortunate side-effect of installing an internal SSD into Nucleus is that this makes the Nucleus into a NAS…at least from the perspective of adding new content and performing backups. Most folks have no problems with this, but it’s something to consider.

Hello Mark, I would add the SATA SSD internally on the Nucleus for your music library. The Nucleus should have everything you need to complete the install. You can attach an USB external SSD for backups or use your NAS for backups.

I have a Nuc/Rock with the SATA drive internal for my library and the USB SSD for backups.

Ditto (nuc but the same thing)

If you search this forum for NAS issues, I think you will find plenty. Personally, I highly recommend a SSD installed inside your Nucleus to store and play your music files. Just make sure they are also backed up somewhere outside of the Nucleus.

Yes, agree that an SSD in the Nucleus is one way to go.

My question to you is about how you plan to back up your music files?

1 Like

For me, breaking down the facts/issues raised by the OP’s question logically…

• I want to eliminate as much complexity with my Roon system as I can. It’s why I use a Nucleus+ vs other options. Because you need a rock solid network infrastructure for Roon to be trouble free and I especially want to eliminate any network complexity wherever I can – I want my music files on my Nucleus+. This eliminates a network hop from another box to the Nucleus+.

• I don’t like noise. Therefore want to put them on a SSD in the Nucleus+

• You don’t want to edit metadata in Roon as it’s not designed for this and it’s pretty easy to lose work you do there. Therefore, you really need to do any and all metadata editing from a computer and then transfer the files to the Nucleus+. I edit metadata on a Mac (where my music “master” files reside and I do editing with Yate) and then use Chronosync to automatically synchronize any changes from my Mac to the Nucleus+ daily. It works flawlessly.

• You want a backup of your music files – ideally onsite and one offsite. Therefore I have a NAS which is also synced with the files on my Mac via Chronosync daily. Because I’m paranoid about losing media, I use CloudSync from my Synology NAS to create an offsite backup on Backblaze from my NAS. I also use my NAS as the daily backup for my Roon DB on my Nucleus+ as it is more reliable than using a USB stick or Dropbox. This also gets synced offsite to Backblaze once a month. (BTW – you can easily use just another disk for music file backups vs a NAS but I like the NAS as I use it for time machine backups for my Macs and I like the automatic syncing with Backblaze)

While there are many ways to sail a boat from point a to point b… this Roon setup approach has worked great for me for years as it minimizes complexity and is optimized for trouble free Roon enjoyment…

3 Likes

Imho, an external USB drive is easier to use than an internal drive and has more versatility.

Not sure why you need versatility with a Nucleus+ – it’s there just to store music in either case. (If it was a general purpose computer running roon I’d understand.) Anyway, why have spinning disks, another power brick…etc. Of course just my opinion…

I’ve got an SSD made external by plugging this into it.

You’re kind of getting ahead of me, but I suppose I could still use the NAS for that purpose?

I decided to get Roon and now the Nucleus to avoid the complexities that I dealt with using J River on my Mac. It seems I’m just going down a different complex road based on some of the responses. I currently use a LUMIN D2 with the Roon Core and my music files on a QNAP NAS. Because I have had some issues with the NAS, I was hoping to simplify my life in purchasing a Nucleus. I was only wondering if I should install a SSD in the Nucleus to house my 300 or so albums. It seems there is no clear answer, and perhaps I’m entering another world of issues. :confused:

It isn’t a question of where you’re going to put the backups, but how you’re going to generate them.

Ya see, the problem is that Nucleus can only run Roon, i.e. no backup software on the Nucleus.

That means you will have to run the backup software on another machine and connect to the Nucleus SSD over the network.

Can you do that? That’s why I bring it into your considerations.

1 Like

I have no idea. I think my backups now are saved to my NAS. Why would installing a SSD in the Nucleus change that?

If it works now leave it as it is.

Again, if you put your music files on the SSD in the Nucleus, how are you going to backup them up?

The NAS software might or might not do it, I don’t know what you’re running, but you’re going to have to do it over the network.

Sounds like that could be a hassle for you to set up and monitor.

I’m thinking that. So, cancel the order of the Nucleus!