To install SSD or not?

This thread was about putting music files on an SSD and that won’t improve SQ.

Roon software and its database really need to be on an SSD, for its speed, but again there is no SQ considerations for doing that other than avoiding dropouts and the like, IMO.

2 Likes

This thread was actually whether I should install an internal SSD.

All SSDs are internal. What’s your point?

From your first post starting this suffering thread.

I was answering the poster who asked whether an SSD would improve SQ.

The simple answer is yes , it would be in keeping with a 1 box “appliance” approach, nice and tidy

1 Like

I rip and tag on my main desktop and then push files via scripts to my NAS (which then sends them offsite) and to the SSD on my rock core.

I recently upgraded from a home grown HTPC with a 2 TB standard hard drive to a QuietPC fan less high-end NUC with an internal SSD. I have had zero problems with the new rig and can say for sure that copying music to it via scripts is a LOT faster than it was when I copied to the old HTPC.

1 Like

I recently moved from a NAS to an internal SSD. While waiting for the parts to arrive, I was using an external SSD via USB on the front of my ROCK.

Internal and external SSDs act virtually the same. The only difference is one is outside the box and visible. You can’t back up the database to an internal SSD (I think), but you can to an external SSD (but I’d rather not clutter my library up with that folder). I was doing that with my NAS. While doing all my latest copying, I realized that database folder is quite large. I’d rather keep it separate from my precious music files and back it up to my NAS or external USB and keep my music on an internal SSD.

That’s been my experience, for what it’s worth. Your mileage might vary.

I misunderstood the whole purpose of the SSD. I thought I needed an SSD to transfer my music to as well as these files that currently reside on the HDD of my NAS: I thought the system would operate better with these files on an SSD. It sounds like I don’t need either an external or internal storage other than what I currently have on my NAS. Where do the files in the attached go when I migrate Roon to the Nucleus?

all the roon program files will be on the Nucleus (you don’t need to move them there, they will just be there with the installed Roon Core). The actual music files (your flac,wav,mp3, etc.) can stay on the NAS, and you just set that NAS location as your music library location in the Roon Core program running on your Nucleus.

Ahhh, boy, was I over thinking things! So this whole RoonServer folder can be deleted from my NAS once the Nucleus is set up using the backup within my NAS.

yes it can!

except wait, you confuse me with the statement “using the backup within my NAS”.

1. Acquire Nucleus, and it should have roon program already installed.
  2. in the Roon program (running on the Nucleus), you have to set the location of the music files on your NAS, so Roon knows where to find them to play them.
  3. Any roon program files on your NAS can simply be deleted (or not) as you’re not running Roon on the NAS any longer.
  4. I don’t see the need for “using the backup” in this scenario. (with the possible exception that you have made lots of edits to the roon database, fixing albums, etc., and you want to backup the ROON DATABASE, and then restore this ROON DATABASE to the Roon running on the Nucleus. If this sentence doesn’t make sense to you, then you can ignore as it’s not necessary.

All I’ve done is created playlists, so I figured when migrating Roon, that I would need to use the backup within my NAS to restore these lists. Thanks for the info. BTW, I received the Nucleus today. I just haven’t plugged it in yet.

[Moderated, quotation from flagged post removed]

:joy: This whole sorry thread is really a case of “can’t see the wood for the tree’s”. Too much help is not always helpful!

3 Likes

I’m blaming one of the so called professional reviews I read on the Nucleus, so I started off on the wrong foot before I even ordered the Nucleus.

2 Likes

In my opinion, there is more misinformation about digital audio spread by professional reviewers and audiophile magazines than almost any other source. Too bad.

2 Likes

Not a big deal, just feel bad for wasting everyone’s time. There is still lots of good information here that you guys provided though. I’m sure I’ll have additional questions when I finall get around to setting it up.

2 Likes