To install SSD or not?

OK, then buy a Nucleus and instead of putting in an internal drive, hook up a USB external drive.

All problems solved.

Maybe the same reason as me. I got my Nucleus on a Roon Black Friday sale for $1119. Even at the normal price, I can deal with the money easier than some of the issues that I read about here with NUC’s and SSH and bios, etc. I preferred a pricier “turn-key” solution.

It’s a little like when I was drag racing and paying a shop to build my car and engines. I would get a lot of grief from all the “grease monkeys” who built their own cars. I liked driving cars, not building them.

2 Likes

In lack of rsync I’m a big fan of software like Beyond Compare (both Win and MacOS).

Just an opinion - I looked at the Nucleus and the NUC and decided to try the NUC. I’m no computer wizard by any means, but I can follow directions. The entire assembly and installation took all of 30 minutes, most of which was just plugging things in. The actual assembly of the NUC took maybe 5 minutes.

Roon’s ROC operating system is rock-solid (pardon the pun) and takes up very little space. I followed Roon’s advice and installed an SSD for the library folder for speed of access plus 4GB of RAM.

Intel NUCs come with 4 usb ports, so I now have 2 5GB hard drives attached to the NUC as both NUC and network backup. One HD serves as a weekly backup and the second backs up the weekly once a month. Roon has its own backup utility that backs up the Roon directory to the weekly HD. I have that set for once every 5 days. All these backups are automated so I never have to think about them, except to check now and again to see that they’ve actually been done.

I’d encourage even novices to go the NUC route with SSD. It’s really very easy.

(For reference: Intel Nuc7i5BNH, 4GB RAM, 128 M2 card)

Gosh, another thread that’s all over the place, must be tricky to draw any conclusions from all this.

@Mark81 if you have a local library on a nas you can continue to use it with a nucleus. BUT, the recommendation is to fit a drive in your nucleus, copy your library to it, and use your nas as a periodic backup destination. Doing this will greatly cut down on network utilization when playing from the library, which could arguably yield better sq, and a backup is always a good idea! Drive mounting brackets/screws are included with the nucleus.

@mikeb Thanks so much. I’m wondering, rather than use an internal storage, are there any drawbacks to just using an external USB storage device other than perhaps the appearance, which I think can be easily hidden from view. And if I go with an internal drive, what is the process to copy files to it? Will it show up on my network so I can easily copy and paste to it?

Nope.

With a different PC, you copy the music over the network to the internal drive of the Nucleus.

Thanks. I use a Mac. Just curious, what does it show up as on the network?

When you install a drive in a ROCK system, you will need to format it first within ROCK. Then the drive will appear as a share on the network. You can get to it, via your file manager (not browser).

I’m on Mac… I use Go… Connect to server… put in the IP address, then “connect as guest”. Under the IP address in the sidebar of finder then I can see a “Storage” folder on the Nucleus. Under that I can see “Internal Storage” which is my internal SSD.

Anyone have a preferred brand. I’m looking at a WD Blue SSD.

Highly recommend Samsung. They are a leader in this space.

1 Like

Is this true for an external USB drive? Doesn’t seem like it should be.

Nope, that doesn’t apply to external drives.

@Mark81 if you want to use an external usb drive, format it with exFAT so that it’s compatible with both Mac and Nucleus. For the first copy, attach it to Mac, format (exFAT), copy your library to it, disconnect, and attach to Nucleus.

1 Like

The best advice in this whole sh*tty thread.

1 Like

Can you point to a guide to setup this? I managed to do it with open media vault but then it didn’t work anymore (software freezed and had to reinstall from scrath).

Thnx

Well, I purchased both internal and external SSD’s today. I will wait for the Nucleus to arrive and return the one I decide not to use.

Sorry, I didn’t use a guide.

I am not quite sure to understand if that quote makes consensus about internal ssd : “which could arguably yield better SQ”. Can you explain?
From what could be explained by Slim and others above, SSD did not seem to bring anything more SQ speaking. Am I wrong?
Thanks very much,
A Rookie