To NUC or not to NUC!?

I have an older NUC which is my Roon Server running ROCK… I am thinking of upgrading to boost the performance (specially search) as my database has grown substantially. My main dilema now is whether or not I should opt for the Intel NUC devices listed in the “supported” models for ROCK or should I wait until there is more clarity on how and what Roon will support now that the Intel NUC program is dead.

Any thoughts are welcome…

What are the specs on your current NUC? Maybe just adding memory or upgrading the OS drive would be enough?

I am waiting to upgrade.

There is always something new on the horizon, something “better” upcoming.
The real question is: Do you have to upgrade now?

If the performance, while it feels slower, is still acceptable (keep in mind that your perception of speed might by biased or flawed and/or the application’s speed might be influenced by factors outside of your control and upgraded hardware may therefore not change anything), you’re IMHO better of waiting – the uncertainty about real improvements isn’t worth throwing money at it.

If you feel that your situation has become unbearable though, then you have to upgrade and waiting isn’t really an option (anymore). In this situation new hardware that is a clear upgrade to what you currently have should improve your situation. Do as best as you can with the upgrades.

Maybe post actual figures so other users with comparable library sizes can share theirs for comparison and as benchmark for possible improvements. Depending on the size of your library you may even require something more powerful than a NUC.

Also. Since the search is also internet dependent, throwing faster hardware is no guarantee that you will achieve the speed increases you want.

If you turn off all streaming services, including last.fm if you are linked, is your search improved?

That is the question! Whether tis noble…

Wait. Or build something yourself and run server (or MOCK).

I dont give a NUC

(Btw rock on NUC is amazing)

:wink:

You might think that, and based on my experience to date I am inclined to agree, but there are members on this forum that are reporting issues with their NUC/ROCK setup - and it seems that they are not all attributable to underpowered NUCs or poor network architecture/performance.

However, if the NUC/ROCK combination doesn’t work for someone, they can install either Linux or Windows (according to their experience/capability and budget [if they don’t have a Windows license floating around]) on the NUC and then run Roon Bridge and they should still end up with a good Roon server setup.

A lot of interesting opinions here, my setup is not performing that bad, I do struggle with the speed of search and sometimes the UI seems to lag when I am browsing thru the Roon screens. I am ok to wait and see what comes as a new and updated list of recommended hardware configurations for ROCK…

My NUC is the Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH model with 8GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD… The library size is not outrageous, at the moment it stands at 10,000 albums and some 129000 tracks.

That NUC is reputed to be one of the better ones for Roon Server use due to the relatively high non-turbo clock rates.

The SSD will probably be OK if not stellar. You don’t say, but is the 8GB of RAM fitted as 1 8GB DIMM or 2x4GB DIMMs. If the former, you may get a little better performance by adding another 8GB of RAM (of the same specification and, preferably, module type as the existing 8G DIMM. You don’t need 16GB but using borh RAM channels on the NUC increases memory performance.

1 Like

I highly suggest you look into a Nuc 11 i7. I just got one this weekend and man I’m literally blown away. This is my first Roon Rock device previously I was using Mac mini and MacBook Pro M1. Sound quality has improved too.

I have an NUC 11 i7 (NUC11TNHi7) and it is very good. Whether or not it is significantly better than the NUC8i7BEH is less certain.

Even at the time I was researching which NUC to buy, there were people suggesting that the 8i7 might be better than the 11i7. In the end, for me, it was availability that pushed me to the NUC 11 i7 rather than anything else.

Increasing your RAM to 16 or 32GB and a faster 256GB is likely to increase your speed and responsiveness.

If you are upgrading your NUC I would strongly recommend a NUC13 i7 mine is running 64GB RAM and a 256GB Samsung pro 990 SSD with nil issue.

HDMI for audio is the only thing that doesn’t work on the NUC13 on ROCK.

I seriously see no reason to wait for something better. It is super responsive.

My library is currently about 200K of mixture of Qobuz, Tidal and local mainly high resolution local files.

Happy to answer any questions.

Andrew

P.s. I am running 6 zones in home

Nuc12 + Ubuntu Server + Roon (&Plex) here. Never had a glitch during the last year. Rock solid! Super happy!

What’s funny I was going to go with a Mac Mini 16gb ram. But when I looked at eBay I found a NUC7 I7 I ordered it but it was damaged. So I just went and got a new NUC 11 on eBay for like $400 ish. I have 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. Wow it’s been an experience this weekend. I fell in love with Roon all over again. Not to mention I noticed the jump in sound quality which I was not expecting.

1 Like