Top Ten Tracks of All Time

I’m in a thread of mates who do a top ten albums each year and occasionally a TTToAT.
I thought it might be a poser question for us on here. Only rule is that you have to do it off the cuff, no days of pondering just put them down as they come to you. You can put a description or why it is in there if you so wish.

I have to be honest and say that one of the reasons I started using roon is that I am terrible at remembering favourites, band names etc and that my tastes change daily but I thought I would have a go…

In no particular order:-

Roscoe (beyond the wizard’s sleeve remix) - Midlake
Pretty vacant - The Sex Pistols
Me and Julio down by the school yard - Paul Simon
Something - The Beatles
Johnny too bad - The Slickers
Majesty (Live) - Madrugada (not convinced of my spelling there)
This Woman’s work (Director’s cut version) - Kate Bush
Steppin’ out - Joe jackson
Sixty years on - Elton John
The Intro and the Outro - Bonzo Dog band

Any takers for another list?

2 Likes

I don’t have a list of 10 tracks yet, but I’ll work on it. I have a list of 1 so far. The song that for me is the Greatest Rock n Roll song of all time.

1. Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (especially any of the extended live versions)

Curses! Yes missed that one. Told you I was terrible at this.

1 Like

Ok, got a couple (or three) more:

1. Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (especially any of the extended live versions)
  2. Never Make Me Cry - Fleetwood Mac (especially because Christine McVie sings it)
  3. Desolation Row - Bob Dylan
  4. I’d Rather Go Blind - Can’t decide between Etta James or Beth Hart/Joe Bonamassa versions

I’m pleased the Bonzos made your list… A classic for sure.

A top 10 is kinda impossible for me but I’ll suggest Fairytale of New York by Christy Moore from his live at The Point album for consideration.
Sucked in, I add, Who knows where the time goes from Fairport Convention. Album, Unhalfbricking

Then maybe Hi Heel Sneakers by Tommy Tucker. Short and perfect

Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, Man of the World.

Something more modern for the list is Todd Snider Ballad of the Kingsmen from East Nashville Skyline

My Bonzo track would be Jazz Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold…

1 Like

Hmm, I’ll strike out in a different direction with my number 1:

“Ebben? Ne andrò lontana” from the opera La Wally .

It became an instant favourite when I first heard it in the 1981 film Diva - which is also a very good film, BTW.

But I agree that the Bonzos also belong on such a list…

I get a bit lost in my head with the Bonzos deciding between something straightforward like Intro or weird like lookout there’s a monster coming.

1 Like

There is only one not ten:
Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones

1 Like